Life Vest ?

fischnrod

What's the best life vest out there ? I'm to old, out of shape, and disabled to swim if I fall or get thrown from a boat.

FishingwithRusty

class V, ive got one that i wear when i think things may get sketchy, the rest of the time i wear an inflatable. id have to go look to find the name of the Class V, was about $170.

Fshn Cpa

Amazon has a Stearns competitor collared life jacket for about $50. Got one last year. very nice as long as it is not too hot. Use an inflatable in the summer.

I'm w/ Rusty and CPA. In heavy water or in the winter I use a Class 5. In warmer water I use an inflatable (Mustang).

jman60

I fish by myself most of the time. I always wear a Class 5. It gets hot in the summer but I usually fish in the mornings then. As I get older my balance is not what it used to be. I can swim well but if I hit my head that means nothing.

Rob Lee

I also fish alone (senior) and have caught myself stumbling just bending over to pick up rod. I know they probably work, however; I'm just not ready to trust my life to an inflatable. Good info, thanks.

WaterChap

I wear a type V (inflatable) when I’m fishing alone as long as the water isn’t cold enough for thermal shock. I also wear it when fishing with my partner if it is cold enough for thermal shock. I don’t want to slide under before he can help me. I wear a type III when on plane with a partner or if fishing alone in seriously cold water.

If you really want to be safe if you knock yourself out, you should wear a type I.

churly

I get tickled at how many of the infalatables are on the shelves being sold and the CO2 cartridge is already on RED. No thanks, Ill wear a jacket that was floating before I hit the water.

rippinlips2win

I wear a full jacket most of the time unless it is brutally hot, but I have been looking at the new mustangs and they seem to be very well made and have front facing floatation.

Aries 181

Mustang Survival typeIII in the winter sized XXL to fit over heavy winter clothing. Front flotation is three times thicker than the rear panel for face up floating. Bought from a fellow forum member. I won't wear anything else in the winter.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 236