propeller vent plugs

fischnrod

Where do you buy propeller vent plugs for tempest plus prop

FishingwithRusty

i ordered some on amazon

TightlineT

Ok, so I'm the idiot. I have no idea what you are talking about, but probably something I need to know about with my prop. Thanks for any advice.....Jim

danrnsmyth

They are the plastic plugs that go in the holes in front of each blade on some props. The larger the hole in the plastic plugs the more exhaust it will vent over the surface of the blade and allow the motor to build rpm faster . But the ventilation can increase prop slip at higher speeds so my understanding is the larger holes allow a better hole shot and may affect top end speed somewhat and the smaller holes may help top end but have a slight slow down on the holeshot.,,but there may be more to it than what little i know.

fischnrod

danrnsmyth - 10/7/2020 9:45 PM

They are the plastic plugs that go in the holes in front of each blade on some props. The larger the hole in the plastic plugs the more exhaust it will vent over the surface of the blade and allow the motor to build rpm faster . But the ventilation can increase prop slip at higher speeds so my understanding is the larger holes allow a better hole shot and may affect top end speed somewhat and the smaller holes may help top end but have a slight slow down on the holeshot.,,but there may be more to it than what little i know.

Well that's a start, I know more about it than I did.

I've had them in props on some boats but never had to fool with them, I guess somebody already had them set up the way they needed to be so I'm trying to learn in case I do need to change them when that time comes

FishingwithRusty

danrnsmyth - 10/7/2020 9:45 PM

thats pretty much my understanding of their function/operation as well. ive been amazed over the years how much difference a single ovs plug can make in the performance of a boat/motor