2000 Ranger 518svx Comanche

JohnnyG

Looking at possibly purchasing this boat and I was wondering if anyone on here has owned one and maybe give me some pros and cons. I was also wondering about the port side rod locker and if it would hold at least 7’6” size rods. That’s the longest rod I use and I’ve read in some forums where the lockers differ in size on these older Rangers of the same model or size. I can customize if I need to to make fit, just wondering if I’ll have too. Any info on this boat would be appreciated. I’ve done some homework online, but there’s not a ton of info on this year and model that I can find. Also it comes with a 2005 200hp Evinrude ETEC HO and from what I hear that motor was in its first year then. Thanks.

Pop-R

Not sure on the rod locker size. I have an older ranger 481VS and 7' is max. I am going to cut out the end. I went ahead and removed the foam on that side while doing some other wiring just have to cut it now.

jbh3

In light of current events relative to the brand being discontinued, I would be very wary of that engine. Parts and support may be hard to find. JMHO.

JohnnyG

I was worried too after hearing that but after reading the article they said they would still be making and supplying parts for their engines. They also said they’d still be providing support for their motors and warranties. I just hope they follow through with all that but still worried a bit. Guess we’ll see.

Aries 181

Even a 10 year warranty couldn't save them. Black motors rule the water. Always have and now forever more.

Bill

WaterChap

Agree on the black motors ruling the water. My black Evinrude just keeps running. But it’s only 30. We’ll see in a few decades how it holds up!

FishingwithRusty

the 518 and 519 are GREAT fishing platforms and run pretty darn good with a 200 pushing them but i wouldnt touch an evinrude motor PERIOD

if youre buying with the intent of repowering and could get the boat priced accordingly then it might be an option. so many boats out there with better, less problematic motors.

jcv

I have no complaints on any engine manufacturer.
I have run both Mercury and Evinrude.
Both have been great for me.
I currently have a 2006 Ranger 520VX with a E-Tech 225.
Has always started on first try and runs great. Will say that I have never
used anything but ethanol free gas and don't know if that makes a difference.
Good fishing to all.

silvertalon

I've seen and heard of too many gen 1 E Tec's that have been thru rebuilds and lower units to boot. Sometimes 2 of each then the owner finally sells it. I'm sure there's a lot of them without any major issues but... The new Gen 11's are a different breed. Haven't heard anything bad about them in the 3-4 years they've been running. IMO, a bigger boat with a Merc will solve the problem. All of the Japanese motors are very good as well.

Aries 181

WaterChap - 6/4/2020 1:08 AM

Agree on the black motors ruling the water. My black Evinrude just keeps running. But it’s only 30. We’ll see in a few decades how it holds up!
Painted with a rattle can doesn't count.

Bill

WaterChap

You made me laugh out loud, Bill! You’ve seen my boat! True its current coat on the cowling came from a can, but it came from the factory black from cowling to skeg, including a black Teflon coated stainless steel prop!