Jack Plate trade

BASS7

I have a 10" Rapid Jack jack plate on my 19' Bullet.
I actually need a 6" jack plate.
Anyone want to trade me a 6" plate for this 10"?

FishingwithRusty

hard to believe less set back is needed, the further you go back the cleaner the water on the prop=more bite but i have never owned a Bullet so maybe there is something different for them than other boat brands

BASS7

My thought process:
A 10" jack plate is usually on a boat over 20' with a 250hp motor or larger.
My bullet is 19'4" with a 150 Intruder. I don't think is has the torque to lift like a larger engine.
I'm thinking too much setback.

Right or wrong, that's my reason for the trade idea.

FishingwithRusty

i hear ya, you might try reaching out to the guys on the bullet fb group or bullet group on BBC. i think youre going the wrong direction.

BASS7

I tried that when I got the boat and came up empty.
None of those guys are running 19' Bullet boats anymore.
And the ones that did were old like me and can't remember their setup info.
I actually, l need a larger motor as the boat is rated for 200 HP. I had a 200 and a 150 when I bought the boat without a motor.
I installed the 150. The previous owner ran a 225, blew it up and sold the boat to me.
You could be right though.

FishingwithRusty

sounds like your prop pitch and jackplate need adjusting. its a fairly accepted norm that more jackplate is better for performance.

i had a 150 faststrike(same as intruder) on a stratos 201 back in the day and there are VERY few motors with better power to weight ratio than that motor.

what problem are you having?

BASS7

I think mostly just setup problems and trying to find a starting point from someone
who ran a similar setup years ago. I'm running a 24" Raker Prop and also a 25" Shooter.
Both have a great hole shot and top out about the same. I could never get any info on a starting point
for motor height and that could be the problem. I'm probably 2" above the pad.

FishingwithRusty

2" above pad sounds high for those props. what kind of speeds and rpms? i'd bet your throwing a hell of rooster tail

BASS7

Rooster tail is slightly higher than the engine cowl.
Not sure if the tach is right but RPM's over 6,000.
Speed is in the mid sixty's.
Also, the boat is hard to steer. at WOT

FishingwithRusty

id lower the motor about an inch and adjust from there in 1/2" increments, sounds to me like your motor is too high

jb366

I'm with Rusty, keep the 10 and work on setup. Bigger setback actually makes the bow easier to lift. I had some tip cup added to my prop because I'm running twin graphs and a 360 along with a ultrex. I added 2" spacers on my jackplate and it's got too much lift now and needs to be reworked.

I'm far from a bullet expert but most of the guys I see running above pad are usually running 14-16" of setback on 20&21' boats so I can't imagine 2" above is anywhere near right for the lighter hull with less setback. As a guess 2" below is probably in the ballpark

If you decide you need a 6" I have one in my shop
make me an offer as long as I don't have to fool with shipping it

BulletTJ

If you have low water pickups on the lower unit, I would start at 3/4" above the pad and move up from there. If you don't have low water pickups stay even with the pad. You can plug the top 2 vent holes on each side of the lower unit if you dont have low water pickups. Most people use set screws and lock tite to do that job. Keep an eye on your water pressure gauge. Things will get hot in a hurry if you don't have enough water pressure. You need to just play with your set up. Take the tools needed to adjust the jack plate with you to the lake. Get a buddy to go with you. Just don't get in a hurry and make small adjustments. Also, I would mark a straight line on both parts of the jack plate. That will give you a reference point when adjusting things. That way you don't have to measure your prop shaft to pad measurements in a parking lot. Much easier to get your base measurement at home, mark the jack plate and go have fun. 1 click up is usually 1/4". Hope this makes sense.

lafae7

You need to run a 4 blade bro. you’ll get more bite for lift. I ran a 19vee for many years and a 4 blade trophy has big ears and just fit perfect on the vee boats.

silvertalon

Get a water pressure spec for that engine. OMC uses a floppy vein, volume style impeller. Merc impellers of that style require 8psi at 5K rpm's and up. You'll probably need a torque tab on your skeg to counter the pull on the steering wheel. Engine height to pad on a Bullet, is usually the opposite from other hulls that require set up blow pad. Your ignition system on that motor should have a rev limiter built into the power pack for max rpms so you'll need to know that spec as well. If you go too high you will be bumping the limiter. when propping tho, water pressure is the most important set up consideration. The Raker and Tempest will provide the most bow lift. That hull should run 68-70 with a 150 if set up correctly.

silvertalon

BASS7 - 4/22/2020 4:21 PM

I have a 10" Rapid Jack jack plate on my 19' Bullet.
I actually need a 6" jack plate.
Anyone want to trade me a 6" plate for this 10"?
10" plate is what came on that boat from the factory. I'd leave it on there.

BASS7

This is some great information.
So, I'm keeping the 10" jack plate and working on setup.
Thanks for all the information. Not too many people running a 19' Bullet anymore and the guys that had them don't remember much.
Again, Thanks.