Trolling Motor Shaft Size?

JoeFD

I think i am over researching now. I noticed with the motorguide Xi5 pinpoint, the longer the shaft the cheaper they get and started researching. Now i am finding that people are running all different shaft lengths on their bassboats and questioning my decision of the 45" (haven't purchased yet).

What do your run or is your recommendation for shaft length? I its going on a 21' Nitro.

Thanks!

Smalliefan2

I use a 45" on a Ranger. The prop is level with the bottom of the hull, and can go down about 4" more. Works on big water like Lake Champlain.

I went w/ a 52" shaft. I fish water that gets pretty sporty at times. Having that extra few inches of reach has been a big help.

Go to trollingmotors.net and look for the shaft length guide. If you mount a motor with to long of a shaft on your boat it will stick out to for on the side of your boat when it is laid down.

djsmarinelectronics

best way to figure what you need is the next time you go out in your boat take a measuring tape with you. Measure from the top of the deck to the water surface. Then go by the standard attached graph. If you fish a lot of rough water then add 5" to the chart below.

Attachments

• Bow-Guide.jpg
    Bow-Guide.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 258