A-Rig

wweaver

What Rod do you guys think is best for fishing an A-rig? Also is an A-rig/TN rig allowed in the CFF tournaments? I don't fish them I was just wondering. I hate throwing it but I've been told that its all about the rod, so I thought I might start trying it again.

FishingwithRusty

i use a 7 1/2 or 8' flipping stick, the longer rod and handle make it easier to toss. and yes they are allowed in CFF tourneys

JoeFD

I'm with you, I hate throwing it, but can't deny it does catch fish so I do it any way. I also through on a 7'6" Heavy FS

stratos21xl

You guys are crazy using flipping sticks to throw A-rigs. You don’t need that heavy of a rod to throw a rig. I throw mine on my deep cranking rod and have never had a single issue with losing fish and I can throw it all day without wearing me out. Now if you are throwing 3/4 or 1 ounce heads, which I don’t know why you would, I can see stepping up to a heavier rod but a flipping stick just isn’t the right rod to be throwing a rig on. Just my 2 cents...

Ryno 615

I'm picking up a Powell Endurance 795cf tomorrow for a new rig/swimbait rod. That and the Dobyns 795sb has been my favorites is far.

lafae7

Can you clarify what deep cranking rod you use? This is interesting.

stratos21xl - 2/13/2020 7:16 PM

You guys are crazy using flipping sticks to throw A-rigs. You don’t need that heavy of a rod to throw a rig. I throw mine on my deep cranking rod and have never had a single issue with losing fish and I can throw it all day without wearing me out. Now if you are throwing 3/4 or 1 ounce heads, which I don’t know why you would, I can see stepping up to a heavier rod but a flipping stick just isn’t the right rod to be throwing a rig on. Just my 2 cents...

stratos21xl

lafae7 - 2/13/2020 9:39 PM

Can you clarify what deep cranking rod you use? This is interesting.

stratos21xl - 2/13/2020 7:16 PM

Normal A-rig setup is a Megabass Orochi XX Launcher, which is also my deep cranking rod. I also have/use a Dobyns 795 SB if I am throwing heavier heads and it also doubles as my medium weight swimbait rod. The more I use the 795 the more I like it. You can pick one up in the Dobyns Fury line up for just over 100.00.

jcodylew

I use a 7' 6" Powell Inferno Mag Med Heavy. Its rated for the weight, has PLENTY of back bone, but isn't a broom stick

Thetrevorlong3

Go to fish tales and get you a joe burns rig rod best rod I’ve used for one. No matter what rod you use it’s going to be different than a regular style bait