Gas smell in garage

Floatingphil

Does anybody that stores their boat in their garage have any tips for knocking down the gas smell? Venting to the outside is a last resort.

TIA, Phillip

finbully

Keep in mind gasoline is explosive at 1.4% concentration in air (LEL = 1.4, UEL = 7.6). It doesn't take much and a spark from a motor starting (such as a refrigerator) or a light switch can set it off.

jbh3

Good advice above. I believe I would be more concerned with finding out what is leaking gas and addressing that problem first. I have 2 cars and a boat sitting next to me here in the basement with no gas smell.

jman60

My question is do you have a plastic gas tank? I have two boats. One with a metal gas tank no gas smell ever. I have a Triton with a plastic gas tank. It always has a gas smell. My solution is to put a small fan blowing across the boat in my garage and open all the lockers. Any smell dissipates quickly and the garage does not smell.

Floatingphil

I’ll keep her right where she is. No evidence of any leaks. I think it’s just fumes coming out the fuel tank vent.
I think her new home is more air tight than her last, therefore the gas odor.

finbully

Floatingphil - 2/5/2020 8:48 PM

I’ll keep her right where she is. No evidence of any leaks. I think it’s just fumes coming out the fuel tank vent.
I think her new home is more air tight than her last, therefore the gas odor.

Yea that old home was pretty rickety...

Floatingphil

The boat can stay hitched to the horse at the new house. And no 90 degree turns. So much better tgg BF am the last place.

Attachments

• 581B8026-6B88-4DAE-8D77-ED941F5548A7.jpeg
    581B8026-6B88-4DAE-8D77-ED941F5548A7.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 287