Spooning from bank

NoiceNoah

Heyoo, anybody here do spoon fishing from the bank? if so what are some good techniques??

jcodylew

I do not... but the title of this thread made me laugh out loud a little!! nice play on words

NoiceNoah

jcodylew - 1/29/2020 7:16 AM

I do not... but the title of this thread made me laugh out loud a little!! nice play on words
I was going to add a winky face for fun but thought that would be a little too much lmao

Tight_Lines

they work petty good below the dam. ive caught a variety of fish on many different colors and kinds of spoons below the dam. i fish the bank from the dam down behind chat state a lot and some times will throw spoons. just depends . past couple if weeks maybe 3 or so to a month has been really slow below the dam. but I have also had days i have caught a ton a fish down there. ive thrown folie spoons, flutter spoons of all different shapes and sizes, little cleos, and really just an array of all kinds of lures. fall is usually really good and early spring things will heat back up again. right now it seems you really have to have A LOT of patience to find a fish here and there and you have to really move around a lot as well throw all your tackle it seems to find the ones you do catch... hope this helps

NoiceNoah

Tight_Lines - 1/29/2020 2:17 PM

they work petty good below the dam. ive caught a variety of fish on many different colors and kinds of spoons below the dam. i fish the bank from the dam down behind chat state a lot and some times will throw spoons. just depends . past couple if weeks maybe 3 or so to a month has been really slow below the dam. but I have also had days i have caught a ton a fish down there. ive thrown folie spoons, flutter spoons of all different shapes and sizes, little cleos, and really just an array of all kinds of lures. fall is usually really good and early spring things will heat back up again. right now it seems you really have to have A LOT of patience to find a fish here and there and you have to really move around a lot as well throw all your tackle it seems to find the ones you do catch... hope this helps
Thank you! I caught this fella yesterday at Elk River Dam in Estill Springs on a kastmaster style spoon!

Attachments

• imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-SMuB0z43Hm5e3X7K.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-SMuB0z43Hm5e3X7K.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 256

Tight_Lines

Nice catch!! Trout fish the Elk quite often when the river says i can. Ive kayak floated the 1st 9 and 14 miles of the river on over night trips and we usually catch a bunch of rainbow!!. i have not seen any LM on the river tho.

NoiceNoah

Tight_Lines - 1/31/2020 5:55 AM

Nice catch!! Trout fish the Elk quite often when the river says i can. Ive kayak floated the 1st 9 and 14 miles of the river on over night trips and we usually catch a bunch of rainbow!!. i have not seen any LM on the river tho.

I’ve heard of trout fishing the elk but I’ve never known where to fish to catch some,any pointers??

Tight_Lines

Noah,
Ive done a handful of trips on the elk... though you really need a fishing yak to really fish the river.. you can put in at Farris Creek bridge and paddle up stream about 2 to 3 miles fishing different holes along the way and float back. point A to A trip meaning put in and take out at same point. best to use medium light to ultra light rod, throwing small crawdad cranks, small rainbow trout cranks ( these are $10.00 a pop) 1/4 little cleo spinners and anything along those lines. also Power eggs are best option.. using No. 4 aberdeen gold hook two power eggs and a -3 split 18in up on your line.
or the other float that i have done on a one night and also two night trip ( though there are folks who also do it in a day, which in my opinion is rushed) is to do an A To B over night trip or two nights. put in at the dam, and take out at Farris Creek Bridge. the total distance is 9 miles but water is slow moving and you SHOULD ONLY float it with ABSOLUTELY NO generation!! to dangerous otherwise. check schedule and weather before you go. you will have to plan out this trip though and stage vehicles for return and pick up so going with another person or group is kinda mandatory. and Hammock camping is the best way to goo!! hope this helps!! Tight lines to ya!!

NoiceNoah

Tight_Lines - 1/31/2020 12:24 PM

Noah,
Ive done a handful of trips on the elk... though you really need a fishing yak to really fish the river.. you can put in at Farris Creek bridge and paddle up stream about 2 to 3 miles fishing different holes along the way and float back. point A to A trip meaning put in and take out at same point. best to use medium light to ultra light rod, throwing small crawdad cranks, small rainbow trout cranks ( these are $10.00 a pop) 1/4 little cleo spinners and anything along those lines. also Power eggs are best option.. using No. 4 aberdeen gold hook two power eggs and a -3 split 18in up on your line.
or the other float that i have done on a one night and also two night trip ( though there are folks who also do it in a day, which in my opinion is rushed) is to do an A To B over night trip or two nights. put in at the dam, and take out at Farris Creek Bridge. the total distance is 9 miles but water is slow moving and you SHOULD ONLY float it with ABSOLUTELY NO generation!! to dangerous otherwise. check schedule and weather before you go. you will have to plan out this trip though and stage vehicles for return and pick up so going with another person or group is kinda mandatory. and Hammock camping is the best way to goo!! hope this helps!! Tight lines to ya!!
Sounds fun! I'll have to try the point A to A trip. Thanks!

WaterChap

I’ve caught white bass aplenty below the dam on a Kastmaster. I keep the line light to preserve my range.