Bunk board replacement

Does anyone know who replaces bunk boards at the ramp while you’re out fishing?

Tight_Lines

i did mine myself... took bout 0 min. of course i did all my prep work at home buying new boards and covering them with marine carpet.. then imy wife took the the boat out and i changed my boards.. actually was really easy

I think it’s going to take me a little longer. My bolts go all the way through my boards and are recessed in the top. So the only way I see to do it is put new boards on and then carpet them while they’re on the trailer.

Or I guess I could go ahead and prep my boards with carpet at home and then just use lag bolts instead of the pan head bolts that go all the way through.

Tight_Lines

bass wrangler,
your second post is what i did. do all your prepping at home... it will be way less time you spend in the parking lot! you might want one other person with you to hold the boards down on trailer while you drive screws in

danrnsmyth

Tight_Lines - 1/14/2020 9:24 AM

bass wrangler,
your second post is what i did. do all your prepping at home... it will be way less time you spend in the parking lot! you might want one other person with you to hold the boards down on trailer while you drive screws in

I did my four on a Ranger trailer and used a good grade bunk carpet and stainless steel staples and put a couple of zinc roof tacks in the ends I folded under so they would have a little extra hold to them. I counter sunk the pan heads bolts a little and bought new hangers as they are very inexpensive online (Etrailer). I simply had to make sure my measurements were correct on the hanger spacing and then I just had to replace the horizontal bolts at the ramp. But the prep work in the basement was the key as Tight Lines said.
As a matter of fact I discovered that if you let your wife drive a empty boat trailer up the ramp, if the ramp is low and rough and has a couple of strategically placed pot holes and you have 50lbs of air pressure in the tires you don't have to remove the old bunks at all, you simply have to drag them off the ramp...they come off very easily at about 30 mph no tools needed other than for the horizontal bolts... ;)

danrnsmyth

and oh...when those 2x6's go somersaulting thru the air (assuming they miss your trailer fenders as such) it will clear everybody off the ramp and nobody will even park close to you so you have plenty of elbow room to put those new bunks on.....