Parksville Water Conditions

Has anyone been out to Parksville since the recent rains ? I am curious if the runoff has muddied the lake in the vicinity of the Parksville Ramps on the north shore. I'd like to save a trip over there if there has been an appreciable change in the water clarity. There is a lot more rain in the forecast and am interested in where and how to have success in cold murky water conditions, other than from the shore below dams. Watts Bar tailwater is a fairly lengthy drive but has been providing some action on panfish. Thanks !

Hey Gone Fishin - Thanks for the reply. There doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion about Parksville on this site. (or anywhere). I like clear water especially when it is cold. This year, the water is not as cold as it could be. What would you use to catch the bass up shallow ?

When I have caught good largemouth up there it was on a shaky head or some type of jig. Would try a ned rig in junebug if water is dirty. Jerkbaits also but not if muddy. For some reason the spots shut down in muddy water at least from my experience.

rstewart

Jaygivens70,

Having fished and played on Parksville for most of my 53 years on this earth I can state that RARELY will the lake get muddy. The uppoer portion of the lake might get stained after an extended period of rain but nothing like the Hiwassee. I have never seen Indian Creek and Baker Creek muddy even after TVA sluiced Ocoee #2 lake several years ago. That affected almost the entire lake. It was MUDDY in the upper portion of the lake, to about Mitchell Hill and the rest of the main lake was stained for months. Baker Creek and Indian creek had a slight stain to them but I still considered it clear water compared to the Wasse.

Good Luck and let me know if you catch one of those Muskies! My buddy hooked one but it got off. It was about 24" long he said.

I like the old ramp because it is so easy to put in, but I am using a kayak so am limited to the area that I can paddle to. That puts me in the upper end close to where the river dumps in. Do you catch any yellow perch in that area ? The only way I'd catch a muskie is if it attacked a perch, brim or bass that I was reeling in ! Have you been out fishing on Parksville or anywhere lately ? Thanks for the info.

rstewart

You can catch some huge yellow perch fishing around the sand bar going into Sylco. You might also try paddling into Greasy Creek and fishing the west side. I have caught some monster crappie from there. My buddy hung the muskie on a Yum Dinger while fishing for spots.
My last two trips to Parksville were a bust, got skunked but I didn't fish long or much. Fishing was secondary activity, i had been hunting and used the lake as access to hard to reach places from the road.

Hello Rstewart and thanks for the replies. Is that sand bar part of the area marked off by the line of buoys ? I know it is shallow and I thought it was a mud flat but could be sand. I have fished in Greasy creek and talked to the USFS about re-opening the ramp back in the campground. (Not likely) It's kinda far to paddle from the Parksville ramp. I like to spend less time paddling and more time fishing. I marked a lot of signals on the depth finder from 12 to 18 feet off of that rounded point to the right of the old ramp. We had a late start and only managed one bass but it is definitely worth a second try. When that will be, I don't know. There were also scattered schools of something at a similar depth out in front of the ramp. That was right before Thanksgiving.

bullshot

On 64 east end of the greasy creek bridge is a pull off. Short (but steep) drop in to the lake, just paddle under the bridge to fish the greasy creek embankment.

WaterChap

Are there any maps which identify the sand/mud bars and other hazards at Parksville? Would love to go, would hate to sacrifice a prop!

Go to page 4 of fishing discussion. "Parksville North Shore" and scroll down to see maps. A big shallow mud flat above the two north shore ramps is marked off by buoys.

copyman

Thanks for the discussion. I drive up the River road occasionally and always get the itch to wet a line. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get some fishing in up there soon

hoop235

I wouldn't plan on going there too soon, place is a mud hole right now. LOL!!!
BTW: I live in the Greasy Creek community and pass it most everyday. I hardly ever fish it except for bream fishing in the spring and summer but looking forward to trying my luck at muskies this fall.

I went up the Ocooe River last Thursday and got some great photos of the raging torrent at maximum flow from 4+ inches of rain: 13,432 cfs. Normal flow is 1,000/2,000. I don't know how to post pix on here or else I would. As far as the maps, a "Thank You" should go out to Lx545 and Aries 181 for sharing what they had with all of us. As far as being "The Man" , I'll only say what Merle Haggard said in his song "One Day at a Time" : "I'm only human/I'm just a Man/Help me believe in all I can be and all that I am"

bullshot

Whitewater section had about double the normal summer whitewater release in yet yesterday. I assume the same for today. Not sure of the color