Spooling a Spinning reel Question.

NoiceNoah

Hey everyone, I have a question. When I spool my reel with brand new line then cast out it sometimes gets all tangled up. Even if I just open the reel to cast some times the line just spins out without me even casting. Takes a good couple times going out fishing to get it just right where the line isn't all crazy. Any way to prevent all that happening?

FishingwithRusty

1. dont put as much line on the spool
2. use a small diameter LIMP line, flouro is the WORST
3. use a line conditioner

rusty nailed it. one additional suggestion - apply tension while spooling by holding the incoming line between two fingers

Gator

Also...
Be sure it’s not twisting as you put it on, if so turn the spool over. Personally I like to run it thru a wet cloth, applying some light tension as it goes on.

Strato-G

After spooling, walk ur line completely off spool & crank it back on, this allows line twist to untwist...Do this in water if can also,,,,limp line is best,,,,some floro is somewhat limp...luck........... emoGeezer emoUSA ..... emoDance sun out again

NoiceNoah

swamp - 11/15/2019 3:34 PM

If you have time,soak the new spool of line in a bucket of water for a day or two.
Yea I’ve heard about that,I think imma try that!

Fshn Cpa

The right line can make a lot of difference. I have been using P-line flouroclear for several years with good results

NoiceNoah

Fshn Cpa - 11/16/2019 8:22 AM

The right line can make a lot of difference. I have been using P-line flouroclear for several years with good results
Noted!

SNUFFY

All good advice above...it also help to match the reel size to you line... 12# on a small crappie reel is a disaster. I try to get larger full size reels for anything over 6-8#. And flouro can be bitch even on big reels. 12# flouro on a full size reel is about the most I`ll try on spinning reel. To be honest for most fishing I`ve found basic Berkley XL 10# is hard to beat although I`ve gone as high as 14# if I`m throwing heavier baits. And like others said pay attention when spooling for twist and flip spool if it is . I` like to play it all out on the water , stick the rod tip underwater and reel it in kind of slow and I`ve even walked it out thru the yard and wound it back in .

digitalcb

Gator - 11/14/2019 5:27 PM Also... Be sure it’s not twisting as you put it on, if so turn the spool over. Personally I like to run it thru a wet cloth, applying some light tension as it goes on.
</p>

I always flip my spool of line so it goes on the reel in the same direction it was in the spool.</p>

You know how it's a pain to roll up an extension cord against its original orientation.
</p>Also helps to pinch with a piece of inner tube. you can pinch harder without hurting your fingers and the rubber generates heat (old fly fisherman's trick)

</p>

Tight_Lines

What does everyone think about Flourobraid line?? does it really help with line breaks for hang up like rocks and such? And is it really more abrasion resistant than regular braid?? thanks in advance!
Tight lines to all!