Opening Day Modern Gun Deer season in AR

Jmax

Thought I would give a shout out to you all since I have not posted much lately. I have been bow hunting some but have not seen a shooter I wanted to let an arrow fly on. Decided since this was opening weekend to our Modern Gun deer season I would take any decent legal buck that came my way. A legal buck in Arkansas is three points on one side. Went down to my camp in south AR near the big town of Fordyce. I have hunted there for 39 years so it is fair to say I know the woods there. One area I like is very dense with low hanging tree so hunting in a stand has you up in the low hanging trees which hampers your sight distance. I set up a ground blind on a ridge over looking a bottom area. Saw a couple right off but could not see well enough to tell if they were a legal buck. About an hour after sun up I caught sight of a large forked buck making my way. I could not have had him come in on me any better if I had him on a rope. At about 25 to 30 yards I confirmed he was legal and dropped the hammer on him. With him coming at me at that range he never knew what hit him. He is a fat one as you can tell from the picture. Large deer for just a 6 point.

That evening two of the other guys with me dropped a 7 pt and an 8 pt. Funny thing was both deer were smaller then mine. emoTongue They ragged me on my smaller horns but I shot back at them that you cannot eat the horns and my deer was larger then theirs. emoHungry There were six of us hunting with three of us getting a deer. Not a bad start. emoDance

Here is my six point after I dropped him and also the other two guys bucks after they loaded them up in a truck and brought them in to camp. Got to say I love this cold weather. It has the deer really moving. emoThumbsup Jmax

Attachments

• Picture1110191609_1 (Copy).jpg
    Picture1110191609_1 (Copy).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 269
  • Picture1110191610_1.jpg
    Picture1110191610_1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 286
Nice one! I saw a big buck (for my area) on my way to work yesterday standing in the middle of a frosty field. It must be that time of year because you would never see a buck do that in the daylight right there

Rob Lee

Seen three different bucks chasing does yesterday in Hickman County Tn. All small bucks, no shooters. Weather is going to get nasty starting later today.