Florida in December

chloe1990

I'm thinking of going to Southern Florida around Christmas (probably one of the only warm places in the US). Anyone familiar with Florida and any good fishing spots? Is Lake Okeechobee a popular place to fish? Wasn't planning on fishing in the Atlantic, but should I?

Spent 10 yrs down there and fished all the spots in South Fl. Okeechobee can be great but as shallow as it is, winter fronts can stir it up in a hurry. Also with vegetation being the predominant cover, things change quickly on the lake. One week you will have a honey hole and the next, the wind has blown it apart. I found the fish more sensitive to cold fronts too. Don't get me wrong, a great lake but it is HUGE and can be finicky. I fished the central Fl lakes like Kissimee some but not enough to get a real good read on them. My favorite? Probably the stickmarch/Farm13 in Fellsmere near Vero Beach. At one time that place was nuts with big fish. Downside is what seems like a 5 mile dirt road to the ramp. Your boat, car and everything exposed will get dirty. Must have been descent fishing though as we made the trip dozens of times. In fact, I believe they flooded a new lake within the last couple of years but I haven't been down there in a while. Good luck! Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.

FishingwithRusty

if youre open to options consider Falcon Lake in south Texas. its warm and less fragile than the shallow lakes of south florida

chloe1990

Thanks for the info Springmill. The area around Fellsmere shouldn't be too far off. I hadn't considered Texas...hmmm..that's an idea too. I just want to go someplace where it's warm in December. Thanks FishingwithRusty!

BassERT

I live in Eau Gallie, (Melbourne)
I usually go to C-54 instead of Stick Marsh just because of the almost 11 mile Rough drive to the marsh.
54 is the canal that drains from the SM to Sebastien River.
There is also Garcia and Blue Cypress Lake nearby.
Then there is Lakes Jackson, Marion and Cypress that feed Lake Kissimmee.
Not for the faint of heart also there is Fellesmere Grade where you have seen Horton and other pros fish the shallow vegetation for trophy bass.
There are good selections everywhere in this area and if you develop the right pattern you can have the time of your life.

North of me is the Indian River and Lake Harney and other choices.
Enjoy.

If you like stiko fishing , the three colors I like best are, junebug, red shad and of course green pumpkinseed with a minimum 4.0 EWG Trokar

chloe1990

Thanks BassERT. I have an old friend who lives just north of Ft Lauderdale so I'm leaning towards FL, the drive from Ft Lauderdale to the Melbourne area doesn't seem to far, few hours. I appreciate all the info.

finbully

chloe1990 - 10/23/2019 1:57 PM

I'm thinking of going to Southern Florida around Christmas (probably one of the only warm places in the US). Anyone familiar with Florida and any good fishing spots? Is Lake Okeechobee a popular place to fish? Wasn't planning on fishing in the Atlantic, but should I?

Check here for information too:

https://forums.floridasportsman.com/

derek81

I am from S. Florida and go back with my son every year and fish Kissimmee, Stick Marsh, Garcia and Kenansville (Fellesmere Grade) and they are all great places to fish. The grass on SM has been not so good last two years but Garcia and the lower end of Kenansville is full of grass. When the time gets closer and you know where you are going drop me a PM and I will be glad to help.

derek81 - 10/24/2019 1:15 PM

I am from S. Florida and go back with my son every year and fish Kissimmee, Stick Marsh, Garcia and Kenansville (Fellesmere Grade) and they are all great places to fish. The grass on SM has been not so good last two years but Garcia and the lower end of Kenansville is full of grass. When the time gets closer and you know where you are going drop me a PM and I will be glad to help.

I had forgotten about Garcia. Had a lot of good days there.

silvertalon

Don't forget Central FL like, Harris Chain and east like Pannasofkee. West Central- You'd love "Rousseau" and Crystal River" (some deep water), and it's canal to the Gulf. And there's The Homosassa inlets. On the east side- ST Johns and down would keep you very busy with a lot of big fish. Also, be forewarned that anywhere in FL is more expensive in winter when it is mobbed with snowbirds. If you are going to camp, book it now.

finbully

silvertalon - 10/24/2019 8:06 PM

Don't forget Central FL like, Harris Chain and east like Pannasofkee. West Central- You'd love "Rousseau" and Crystal River" (some deep water), and it's canal to the Gulf. And there's The Homosassa inlets. On the east side- ST Johns and down would keep you very busy with a lot of big fish. Also, be forewarned that anywhere in FL is more expensive in winter when it is mobbed with snowbirds. If you are going to camp, book it now.

x2 on CR and Homosassa. The inshore grouper bite is ON there now! Just got back a week ago from a 2 week excursion.