Top water action..

Tight_Lines

I have been seeing a lot of fish working the surface in the early afternoon ( assuming LM) but apparently i am not throwing the right lures.. i have been throwing mostly a Crocodile flutter spoon working just under the surface but having very little luck. so what are some good lures to try when i know that there are fish busting the surface and catching should be easier?
thanks in advance,

Tight Lines to all!

alicia ayers

small crankbait like kvd that runs a foot deep and if water is 4ft or more i throw my white spoon by War Eagle in 1/2 oz size, bigger fish under smaller ones works for me every time , good luck

MJonesin

My recent experience I tried a plopper and a walking bait with no luck. Tried an under spin and felt a couple of hits. So I switched to a small hard swim bait and caught 2 right away. Seemed they were interested in the underspin but just nipping at the tail...

I love to catch them on a walking type topwater or a buzzbait, but this time of year, especially if you are fishing targets a popper of some sort is hard to beat. You have to give it some time, let it sit a bit, but the fish you catch on them are normally a better class fish than the ones you catch on moving topwaters. That having been said, I use a popper that is at least 3/8 of an oz, and one that will walk some. Throw it up near a target and popper fish it, pop, pop, and let it sit, then pop and sit, do that a few times then walk it back to the boat like you would a standard walking bait. I make sure the popper has some rattles and a feathered treble hook on the back for the pause. Also, have a senko or a fluke style bait to throw if a fish misses the bait, you can pick up some nice fish that way this time of year.