Need a good mechanic.

I threw a rod or exploded a cylinder in the Friday night CFF last week and mercury is refusing to honor the warranty because island cove diagnosed the cause as water ingestion. When I asked how that could happen the mercury tech told me it would be caused from running the motor at over 5k rpms and dumping it into neutral or reverse. Since I did neither of those things I need a good certified mercury mechanic for a second opinion on my motor that isn't going to try to bend me over with fees/labor costs.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0228[1].jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0228[1].jpg
    27 KB · Views: 342
  • thumbnail_IMG_0226[1].jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0226[1].jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 350

silvertalon

Water would have to enter through a bad gasket or a crack in the cylinder head or block or, the exhaust divider plate gasket allowing water into the oil pan, All of these would be cause for warranty. Water in the oil from condensation caused by running the engine with no thermostat and not performing periodic oil changes could be cause for no warranty coverage. Or water in your fuel but, the motor wouldn't run if that were the case. Excessive rpm's could be an issue but your ECM will have an hours log of rpm stats. I'd try another authorized Merc dealer like Fish N Fun. They will have a DDT to read the ECM for rpm log, temp etc. Hope that helps. I could replace your powerhead but, getting to the root cause of the failure is paramount and this is an expensive repair. Is this a 3 or 4 cylinder?

silvertalon

In addition, if the motor has recently run (not in this case tho), The oil on the dipstick would appear milky brown or tan. now that the motor has been sitting idle for a few days, pull the oil drain plug and see it water comes out before the oil. This would be cause for warranty.

They ran the EMC. Motor only has 72 hrs on it with 0 alarms or alerts showing. When it blew it blew the above holes in the block. Mercury is claiming that the only way water could have gotten into the cylinders is if dumped I it into neutral or reverse at high rpm and caused water to be sucked in through the air intake. Island cove did not tear to motor down. All they did was run a scope into the engine and take pictures which showed minor rust spots and pitting in the cylinders which they instantly diagnosed as water ingestion, sent the pics off to mercury, and did nothing else. I was two days short of its annual oil change. What they claim was moisture looked like little shinny specs in blurry images which looked to me like they could have been fresh marks from the damn piston exploding.

FishingwithRusty

carry it to Fish N Fun

silvertalon

In the 1st photo, I can see the 4 ridges on the mating edge of the rod and looks like the rod cap came off. I'm betting the cap and bolts are in there somewhere. Water ingestion in 4 strokes thru the intake valves is one of the most common causes of cylinder failure and could have contributed here but, Either way looks like a rod cap bolt came loose or broke on the crankshaft end. This would be especially true if the motor suddenly locked up. If it bogged down 1st then died, that would mean the piston locked up then seized. The cooling system is isolated from the fuel/air intake and could not have caused this kind failure from improper shifting. Shifting into neutral, the rev limiter would have prevented excessive rpm's and shifting into reverse would blow out a gear set or sliding clutch in the lower unit-maybe. Sounds like you are being handed a load of crapola or have misunderstood. Or more likely, incorrect info was given to Mercury warranty. You still haven't provided HP, 3 or 4 cyl and yr model. Sending you a PM.

jcodylew

Hydes Marine on 58. Romi is THE MAN!!! he is an awesome mechanic

bronzeback45

Man that sucks, look up Travis Talley on FB, he works for bass pro and is a mobile mechanic. They are feeding you horse ****!

Made some progress with Mercury and they are sending their area rep out to tear the motor apart and find out exactly what happened. Should know something soon.