Buying a Kayak, Help?

Dgreen

I'm thinking about buying a kayak. I want something that I can fish out of comfortably in small rivers and streams like the Sequatchie, Hiwassee, and Elk rivers. I also want something that is comfortable and capable of going out exploring new water. I'm looking at the Old Town Predator MX. It seems to be a sort of hybrid with the ability to raise the seat or fold it back for fishing and lower it for more stability when pedaling. I would appreciate your thoughts/comments.

basspsycho

Another place is check out is battlefield outdoors in Fort Oglethorpe. If you want a fishing kayak they got it. Forget the big box guys. I can tell you what I own and why I love it, but it depends on what your looking for and price range. Google best in that range, compare and read reviews. Demo-ing is always a plus.

Tight_Lines

check out the VIBE series!! they have really good kayaks for a decent price and really nice storage and access hatches if you want to add stuff to your yak in the future!!! the VIBE ghost is a really nice stable kayak (12 ft i think) and its really nice for i think under $1000.00. academy has some nice yaks as well as sportsman's warehouse. those would be my suggestion. and correct.. we have alot of nice creeks and rivers all within a couple of hrs to float. tho i dont think i would do a SOT on the hiwassee. tho not a very tough river, it does have some places that can really give you trouble on a SOT if your not paying attention. i dont think it would be a very relaxing trip. i would stick to flat water with a SOT(Sit On Top)... just my two cents...

ezebassn

Ten foot kayaks are easy to manage yourself. I had a 12 footer for a short time and it was very awkward to load and unload by yourself. I have recently purchased a new ten foot ascend sot but have yet to try it. Kayak with a good seat is the most important aspect of kayaking in my opinion. I would start cheap and buy something nicer if you enjoy it. I know a few people who purchased a Jackson kayak and regret the amount of money invested. They are very nice but not a $1000 dollar difference in my opinion.

McJunkins

If you are looking to save some money Walmart has a a good one called the sun dolphin boss. I believe it’s like 495 and for the price I don’t think you can beat it.

JEEPnFISH

Lifetime Tahoma/ Tamarack and I think the newest is called the Yukon. All have positive reviews. I have the Tahoma and it's great. 10 feet long and about 65 lbs. I added a better seat, anchor trolley, depth finder, and upgraded the paddle. Of course I kitted up the obligatory crate.

Dgreen

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions you guys are a fountain of knowledge and info. I'm going to look around at some of the ones y'all mentioned this weekend and see what I can find. I'm not in a big hurry so if there are ours who want to chime in please do so. Thanks again!

BONAFIDE. Purely a fishing kayak company and they e tweaked every feature to perfection. Only thing they don’t make is pedal drive. I hope they do one day

basspsycho

Bonafide makes a great product. I currently own the vibe seaghost 130 that was mentioned. Love it. The 2 shops I named carry both these brands and also do demo days

Dgreen

Went to Rock/Creek yesterday planning to go to Battlefield outdoors today. Seriously thanking about the Jackson Coosa HD.emoScratch Thoughts/opinions?emoGeezer

Badbass Lures

Having jumped into the kayak game in the last year, I have no regrets purchasing my Lifetime Tamarack 100. As Jeepnfish mentioned, the reviews are great and price is unbeatable. Last week Walmart had them on sale for $230. Very stable (I'm 215lbs), easy to upgrade, and a great way to get into kayak fishing. Many features offered here that are typically seen in kayaks much more pricey There are a lot of nice kayaks mentioned above, but after doing lots of research I couldn't justify an extra $700 plus for a non pedal driven yak. Just my opinion of course, but check out Lifetime. Good luck with your purchase

Dgreen

99% the Coosa HD just trying to get it at the best price. Right now the best price I've found is at Mountain Outfitters in Monteagle $1439.20. Hoping Rock Creek will beat it. Should find out tomorrow.

Dgreen

Well we have a WINNER! I bought the Coosa HD at Mountain Outfitters. I called them today and ask for their best cash price and they reduced it 25% off the 1799.00 MSRP. I couldn't pass that up. They have another Jackson Coosa HD and two Liska's if anyone is interested in a good deal on a higher end kayak. Thanks to everyone who responded. I appropriate all of your opinions.