Grass Predictions

JohnnyG

What are your grass predictions this year? A return to decent mats by fall or still on the decline as the last couple of years?

churly

You'll never have the mats we did before they began spraying the residential areas. That being said, I thought last year was above average and I really enjoyed the frog bite in late October.

I fished a small river last night (little river in Blount county) that floods like crazy all the time and the grass was pretty thick in there. I even saw some southern water grass which I had never seen in there before. From my experience when you pull up grass by the roots it just comes right back.

churly

I have been impressed with how much grass I have found in the past week. Due to the year of flooding we have had that went on through this past winter, I expected it to be an off year for the grass, but I am amazed at what is coming up. One hypothesis is that it didnt get quite as cold this winter and the higher water levels allowed the grass that was out of direct current to have a shorter dormant period than normal. As long as we dont have any major summer flooding we will have some mats.

jb366

I haven't searched terribly hard for grass yet but the few areas I have checked it's coming along nicely. There's a big stretch of pond weed I like to fish that I was worried would be gone from the current but it's still going strong.

FishingwithRusty

what really interesting is how the grass on Gville is already topped out

derek81

FishingwithRusty - 6/25/2019 2:18 PM

Was the same way last year, kind of goes against the high water flow theory

derek81 - 6/25/2019 3:30 PM

FishingwithRusty - 6/25/2019 2:18 PM

Was the same way last year, kind of goes against the high water flow theory

That and the entire Midwest floods every year and they are already throwing frogs in slop in Minnesota

Yeah the high water and lack of sunshine theory’s that everyone had 2 years ago are looking less likely. I’m sticking to my story and still believe something got in the water that year and flowed in from the hiwassee.

jb366

WackemandStackem11 - 6/26/2019 8:02 PM

Yeah the high water and lack of sunshine theory’s that everyone had 2 years ago are looking less likely. I’m sticking to my story and still believe something got in the water that year and flowed in from the hiwassee.

I agree with you there. The line between no grass and grass everywhere was too exact. Plus I found grass 18"-24" off bottom in April that turned to slime in less than 2 weeks. That doesn't happen with just dirty water