Water levels and the TVA yo-yo

Ok guys I normally do not get in on discussions like this because I know the TVA does not really care about fishermen, but what is their deal with the water levels? Normally by now the lake is either full or very close to it, they have dropped it over a foot in the last two days and it appears they are going to drop it another foot or two, why would they do that this time of the year? I know with all the rain we had earlier they might be a little gun shy of raising it up, but at this point we are probably not going to flood again with just the showers a couple of times a week.
We are supposed to fish up there Thursday and the places we normally fish this time of year are dry bank right now.

I agree that flood control is more important than really anything else, but at this time in the year normally we are past those issues unless we have some sort of weird rain event. It looks like by now the lake would be closer to full, I know a few years ago we fished middle of April and the lake was up in the little yellow flowers that day, probably 3 inches high, I know the water will move, but this up and down and up and down is bad for the spawn. The Corp does the same thing in GA, we see it all the time, but just seems like there should be a better way to do it. I didn't know they had changed their schedule for filling it up, thanks for that info.

pinsandfins

This will be one of the best spawn years as far as water level and temp in the last 5 years at least. It has been a consistent uprise this year after the strong February rains and then the temp rising. Quit blaming everything on TVA and get out there and figure em out. Jeez. They care about the fishery too believe or not. If it wasn’t for them none of these major tournaments would be here and none of us would be doing well also.

FirstLight

TVA's schedule to bring the water up to summertime levels is the same every year - start April 1 and gradually bring the water up to summer pool by the middle of May. There are going to me minor fluctuations each year based on the amount of rainfall. April and May can be wet months with strong storms rolling through from time too, not just March. I've never understood the negativity about TVA. No matter the situation on the water, TVA gets brought up and labeled as the scapegoat for anything negative.

Strato-G

FirstLight - 4/17/2019 8:15 AM

TVA's schedule to bring the water up to summertime levels is the same every year - start April 1 and gradually bring the water up to summer pool by the middle of May. There are going to me minor fluctuations each year based on the amount of rainfall. April and May can be wet months with strong storms rolling through from time too, not just March. I've never understood the negativity about TVA. No matter the situation on the water, TVA gets brought up and labeled as the scapegoat for anything negative.

They badmouth TVA cause TVA has no back talk.... jmo emoPoke ............. emoGeezer emoUSA

Dgreen

Sounds like life on nick. Its up and down all the time. The normal level is wherever its at today. emoBadLanguage emoBang

dlsmith6

the water levels have made it hard to find the fish. I guess it makes the fish move around a lot or at least it seems that way to me. One day I catch them in 3 ft of water and the next they are gone. Trying to figure out what the fish are doing is what makes it so fun.