Ranger RT198p or RT188

Getting ready to purchase a new boat. Really interested in the RT198's and 188's. I would like to ride in one before making the commitment. I love the simplicity of these boats I'm just not familiar with the new generations of aluminum boats. If any one owns one of these and wouldn't mind taking me for a spin that would be much appreciated. And any feedback as well. I know I will be sacrificing some ride quality coming from fiberglass. Thanks guys

riggerfish

I too considered the R198p since they are now allowing dual power poles to be mounted. I just thought about those rough days out on Chick with huge pleasure cruisers and wakeboards everywhere plus wind and I snapped out of it. They are a nice price point and have alot of licky's and chewy's on them but I went with a fiberglass ultimately. If you do get an aluminum I highly recommend the larger one and an Ultrex to help you fight the wind when fishing. Just my $.02. Good luck.

danrnsmyth

I would have to agree with riggerfish , I have owned two aluminum rigs after downsizing from a 20 ft fiberglass and it was a tough adjustment for me. They have lots of deck space and storage and easy to tow and push in an out of the garage. I kept the 18ft 1 year and found a good deal on a 19 or 19 4 to be exact and the length helped some . I should have bought the bigger boat to start with and could have for what I paid in taxes and titling fees in Virginia. The additional couple hundred pounds in hull weight and the difference in a 150hp motor versus a 115 is substantial. But in reality those hull designs do not dissipate the roller waves as well and I still use some discretion about where I launch or run when it is rough. So I bought what I could based upon not wanting to borrow money which was not the boat I wanted but bought what I could pay for. I don't regret that but the larger boat and a 150 I think is the way to go especially on that lake. The wind moves the boat a lot and turning it sideways does not help much as the keel is more shallow, Luckily I don't have dentures yet or I would have lost them when I went to Lake Champlain last year, but on the days it is not real rough it is a fine boat in my opinion.

Thanks for the input guys. These are the concerns I am constantly mulling over as well. But even if I do decide against the rangers and go with fiberglass I don't feel the need for anything over 19 ft. I was previously in a 18.5 Skeeter and never really had any issues except when the yacht clubs rolled thru lol. I just want a nice obtainable and functional boat with a 150 that I can still afford to put gas in and go

Thanks for the input guys. These are the concerns I am constantly mulling over as well. But even if I do decide against the rangers and go with fiberglass I don't feel the need for anything over 19 ft. I was previously in a 18.5 Skeeter and never really had any issues except when the yacht clubs rolled thru lol. I just want a nice obtainable and functional boat with a 150 that I can still afford to put gas in and go

fischnrod

FishinChef - 3/14/2019 11:28 AM

Thanks for the input guys. These are the concerns I am constantly mulling over as well. But even if I do decide against the rangers and go with fiberglass I don't feel the need for anything over 19 ft. I was previously in a 18.5 Skeeter and never really had any issues except when the yacht clubs rolled thru lol. I just want a nice obtainable and functional boat with a 150 that I can still afford to put gas in and go[/QUOTE

You will be hard pressed to beat the ride of a skeeter in an aluminum or most any boats that I have been in. I'm no expert by any means but I would rank the ride and comfort of a skeeter in the top 3 bass boats