Reel speed

Does any one still use low speed reels in the 5.... range. I notice most new reels come in the 6... range

bullshot

Gear ration is mostly meaningless unless you also know the diameter of the spool (when full). Inches per turn (IPT) is a much better matrix for making comparisons.

silvertalon

Bassman tr21 - 1/2/2019 7:30 PM

Does any one still use low speed reels in the 5.... range. I notice most new reels come in the 6... range

IMO, faster reels are better when on a limited budget. Why? you can always crank slower and still have the speed when you need it. Keep in mind that slower reels give you more handle cranking power with the bigger drive gearing. There are many desirable benefits to a hi speed reel- taking up slack on a surging fish or quicker hookset- faster flippin and pitching etc. I do agree that slower reels are better for deep cranking. I use a 6.3:1 for that. But 95% of the time I have a 7 or 8 in my hand.

I have one of the 4.9 Zillions that I crank with and I love it for pretty much all cranking. I also use a 5.5 Tatula CT that I use for cranking. I can crank on a 6.1 if I have too and I am ok throwing a sq bill in warm water on that ratio, but I prefer to throw them on the slower reels. I get more bites by far with the slower reels, plus I feel the cranks run truer on that slower speed reel. Yeah if you are really cranking fast down a bank the 4.9 can get to you by 3 pm, but it is worth it for the extra fish or two that you catch with it. I like the 7 and 8 gear ratio's for flipping and frogging and topwater, but for cranking I want that slower reel. There are still a few that make the slower reels. I also have a Super Duty 5.1 that I sometimes throw the A-rig on, but I have been thinking about getting rid of it, but I hold on to it as a backup crankbait reel in case anything goes bad on the CT, not too worried about that Zillion that thing is a tank.

Oldman

Jerry does reel have stock bearings in it or not?