What is CWD

fischnrod

What is this disease TWRA is talking about in middle Tennessee (Chronic Wasting Disease) ?

churly

Its a disease that kills deer. its not a virus or a bacteria, its a prion, which is a folded protein that cant be killed through heat or cold. once a deer gets exposure to the prion the protein congregates in the brain/ spinal column of the deer. infected deer secrete the prion through saliva, urine, feces, or any other bodily fluid. Once you have this prion present in your area, you will always have it. This disease started out west and has spread quickly by hunters not following the laws and transporting whole deer across state lines. This is a serious blow to hunters and will probably forever change the way the state manages our herd. with the rate of infection we are seeing from the sampled deer, I am sure it is all over the state and will be confirmed soon. Things like supplemental feeding at any time are about to be illegal, as well as mineral licks, and urine based deer lures. Guys if you hunt, read the regs carefully!!!! don't panick and follow the laws, containing the spread of this disease will fall solely on the shoulders of the hunters.

jb366

It's pretty much mad cow disease for deer and elk. The "prion" that causes the disease is pretty much indestructable and is spread deer to deer through saliva, feces, and urine. It can also be spread into the ground by nervous tissue. Say you killed a buck in west tn, then brought the head home to the other side of the state and buried it in the back yard to decompose the tissue to do a european mount. That would contaminate the soil with the prions and it can from there be picked up and spread around your neck of the woods.
So far TWRA's response plan is to mow down the deer population to limit the deer to deer spread. They're going to open up the 2 counties they've found CWD positive deer through Jan 31st with an unlimited bag limit on does and I'd imagine professional "hunters" will be busy out there this spring and summer.
My concern is they only tested for CWD at select processors on opening weekend of rifle season. Just how many deer do you think have been killed in the "infected" area and transported to other parts of the state this year?

churly

jb366 - 12/21/2018 11:30 AM

It's pretty much mad cow disease for deer and elk. The "prion" that causes the disease is pretty much indestructable and is spread deer to deer through saliva, feces, and urine. It can also be spread into the ground by nervous tissue. Say you killed a buck in west tn, then brought the head home to the other side of the state and buried it in the back yard to decompose the tissue to do a european mount. That would contaminate the soil with the prions and it can from there be picked up and spread around your neck of the woods.
So far TWRA's response plan is to mow down the deer population to limit the deer to deer spread. They're going to open up the 2 counties they've found CWD positive deer through Jan 31st with an unlimited bag limit on does and I'd imagine professional "hunters" will be busy out there this spring and summer.
My concern is they only tested for CWD at select processors on opening weekend of rifle season. Just how many deer do you think have been killed in the "infected" area and transported to other parts of the state this year?

With all due respect, let me correct you. TWRA voted to extend the season in 3 counties (fayett, Hardeman, McNairy) added a buck, and unlimited does. This was done not to "mow down the deer population" but to obtain more samples from the area to get a handle on the rate of infection. Lots of misinformation and emotional reactions to this situation are not helping. I urge any hunters, to read the regs and understand the laws to help get a handle on the situation. The misinformation and panic is spreading faster than the disease

Tn bullet

Agree and disagree states like Illinois have a zero tolerance for supplemental feeding and zero mineral licks yet they have the disease all over. Go a state south to ky where you can hunt over feeders corn piles and mineral licks and you have it. Go to Tn where you can’t hunt over any of that but can use it the deer have it. I don’t think that the deer know where the state lines are and I believe it spreads no mater what we do. Kinda like the Asian carp they will spread just like the cwd is spreading. I don’t know if there is an answer to how to stop it but it’s not just based on feeding

churly

Tn bullet - 12/21/2018 1:46 PM

Agree and disagree states like Illinois have a zero tolerance for supplemental feeding and zero mineral licks yet they have the disease all over. Go a state south to ky where you can hunt over feeders corn piles and mineral licks and you have it. Go to Tn where you can’t hunt over any of that but can use it the deer have it. I don’t think that the deer know where the state lines are and I believe it spreads no mater what we do. Kinda like the Asian carp they will spread just like the cwd is spreading. I don’t know if there is an answer to how to stop it but it’s not just based on feeding

The only places where it has been found, are the places they have tested for it. Guarantee it's in KY. Just hasn't been found yet. And feeding does make spread quicker. No denying that

Tn bullet

Are you sure about ky since you can’t bring any bones minus antlers back I thought that was why you couldn’t transport to Tn