Reel cleaning and realir

calveryc

Anyone have a suggestion of somewhere I can take a few reels for cleaning and drag repair?

Honestly you could take the thing apart and clean it yourself and at least diagnose any problem. However some of the parts can be a little tricky to find and sometimes expensive. You know how it goes, if you build a car from parts it would cost $1 million. Believe me, I am not even close to
Being handy or mechanically inclined but with repetition they are pretty easy to understand. One good tip is to have a white towel to put all the parts on. I have lost many springs in the couch

calveryc

weekend warrior - 1/5/2019 7:42 PM

Bass pro shops will send reels off and they do good work and are reasonably priced.

I’m the OP and took them to Matt Jenkins. He did great work on mine and quick turnaround. Mine were mostly used in saltwater so they were pretty rough and now they’re like new.

jimwarden

I had great reel service from Matt 06/18 on reels I had used extensively for three years. I had even been oiling them on occassion. He took one apart when he picked them up and showed me the wear I had on them. He polished out that wear, replaced bearings on a couple and made them better than new. I thought I would take them back next June, but honestly after six months of fishing they still are still like new. He really does a great job, and I recommend him even if you think your reel just needs cleaning. That’s what I thought, but he knew where to look for wear and how to fix it.