Interesting Story for Texas Fishing Forum

Dropshot

Staff member
From the Forum...</p>

<span style="text-align: left; color: #333333; text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 14.66px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; background-color: transparent; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">I'll clarify the facts as I was driving the boat. We were running in a calm cove, and at 99.7 mph the boat hooked and we were both ejected. And before anyone starts on the "I don't own a Bullet because of this... Bullets aren't safe... something is wrong with the boat" I'll clarify and say that I was running a case with a modified skeg, at an extremely high motor height, and I pushed the envelope. It was my fault, it was in the setup, and I fully raise my hand and take the blame, because that's who it's on. We are both totally fine, other than being a little bumped up... and freezing cold. We were both wearing lifeline race vests and straps, and I had a helmet on. Killswitch was worn. Because of these pieces of safety equipment, we are both virtually unscathed. With that said guys, please wear your safety equipment, at all times, it can be the difference. </span>

<span style="text-align: left; color: #333333; text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 14.66px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; background-color: transparent; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">Big shoutout to DougR who I met for the first time, really cool dude, and even bigger to shoutout to a man in a Ranger aluminum boat who stopped to see if we were okay. I didn't catch his name but I appreciate it.</span></p>

</p>

Here is his follow-up to criticism</p>

</p>

<span style="text-align: left; color: #333333; text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 14.66px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; background-color: transparent; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">Let me further add, for the negative nancies I knew would come out because they don't have anything else to be frustrated about on a Sunday evening, that we were in a small cove, with a spot boat, with fairly narrow entrance to the cove, doing passes down a rock wall, this whole thing was VERY well thought out and planned, we were not simply joy riding nor unexperienced, we knew the risks involved and were hence wearing our safety equipment, and no laws were broken, and no one was hurt, no one was in danger other than ourselves, and no boat was damaged (the boat is fine... it hooked, came to a stop. Bullet builds a great boat. There wasn't even water that scooped, bilge was dry, just a little G force turning that hard). There is not a single thing wrong with the boat. </span>

<span style="text-align: left; color: #333333; text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 14.66px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; background-color: transparent; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">With that said... for the setup question it was a Bullet 20xrd comp hull with a 300XS, running a modified 1.62 sporty with a 30 b blades blaster prop. An inch had been cut off the skeg and a lot taken off the leading edge... WRONG. Should've stayed with a stock lower. Lesson learned. I did not modify the lower unit, I was sold it that way this week. Running at 1.75 inches above pad with a 12 inch jackplate. Boat had trim left if my skeg wouldn't have betrayed me. Running that high you need all the skeg you can get. Mother Mercury designed them that way for a reason. And also, Bullets have been run that high before so this is nothing new... </span>

<span style="text-align: left; color: #333333; text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 14.66px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; background-color: transparent; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">For safety equipment, I had a Non chute Lifeline race vest, and my partner had a lifeline comp vest on. I had a helmet on. These vests are designed with leg straps so upon impact with water, the vest will not rip off you. They are also extremely padded/reenforced for impact with the boat/water for protection of the ribcage. They are very expensive, but rightly so. They are the best money can buy and as such... My partner and I are unscathed aside from a couple bruises. Very minor. Kill switch was also worn. As mentioned above the boat came to a stop dead, and with not even any water in it. It was not that bad of an accident... Frankly if I was stronger maybe I'd have held onto the wheel and not bailed (I'm kidding I challenge anyone to hold on in that circumstance LOL) and then it wouldn't have been an accident at all! So what's being reported anyways since no law was broken?! LOL</span>

<span style="text-align: left; color: #333333; text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 14.66px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; background-color: transparent; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">And last but not least.... 100 is fast.... shoot 70 is fast... but there is ALWAYS someone going faster. Try 176 in an outboard powered boat. There's always someone faster, and there's always danger for those who decide to pursue those goals. It is what it is, and we all can choose to pursue the things that are important to us. Thanks everybody for the well wishes, and to the negatives... well I hope you find some clarification in my words. Thank you.</span></p><span style="text-align: left; color: #333333; text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 14.66px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; float: none; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; background-color: transparent; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" />

WaterChap

99 mph? Tell me this isn’t real. I’m from Texas, someone thinking like this IS real.