1988 35 hp mercury starter

flipper

Who is good at rebuilding starters? I bought a brand new one 2 yr. ago and it has already went out.I have the original starter that was on it.

silvertalon

There are now affordable aftermarket starters on ebay. It would cost as much or more to rebuild one. Tho, you can try Sale Creek. Don, I think. Does good work.

I had a 35 hp mercury and had starter problems that the starter repair guys couldn't seem to fix, so I took it apart and found that the heavy wires that crossed the armature and attached to the commutator
had a press fit, so I ground down a drift punch to fit the pressed holes and punched all of the connections again. It worked great for many years. It is best to lay the armature on something soft,like your lap, so you don't to damage the armature.

silvertalon

captain kirk - 10/23/2018 9:04 AM

I had a 35 hp mercury and had starter problems that the starter repair guys couldn't seem to fix, so I took it apart and found that the heavy wires that crossed the armature and attached to the commutator
had a press fit, so I ground down a drift punch to fit the pressed holes and punched all of the connections again. It worked great for many years. It is best to lay the armature on something soft,like your lap, so you don't to damage the armature.

You're a regular McGyver! Keep up the good work!

digitalcb

Red Hot in Cleveland is good and very reasonable.