Mats

JohnnyG

If I look at the current google maps satellite shot of the Chick, are mats forming south of Soddy Creek to the dam where they are shown on the map? We’re coming down next week for four days of fishing and I have frog fever lol. We’ve fished mats north of 60 bridge in 2016 and 2017. However, I know last year the mats didn’t form in mid October south of the bridge like they did in 2016. A little heads up and anything you can share would be extremely helpful. Thanks guys!

mjwendorf

Nope not a lick of grass this year, TVA killed it all Should go somewhere else if you want to fish grass. Spread the word.

JohnnyG

No google maps aren’t real time. I think the last I heard is they update areas every 4-6 years. But I think they do some areas faster than others. Anyway, the Blue Water Resort lodge area is up to date so the map is decently up to date (within last 2 years I’d say).

newkids

Your wrong about grass. Plenty of mats up around sale creek grasshopper dry branch hiwassee island. Just got to go more than 5 minuets from the boat ramp.

JohnnyG

newkids - 10/11/2018 11:59 PM

Your wrong about grass. Plenty of mats up around sale creek grasshopper dry branch hiwassee island. Just got to go more than 5 minuets from the boat ramp.

Thanks! My boat only has a 24 gallon tank and so it’s hard for me to boat around to see where all the mats are without wasting a lot of gas. If I can relate the mats to what’s shown on google maps and from my other two October trips there then I can plan better. Thanks again.

porthos33

Yeah there is plenty of grass at least down to the nukes....Definately lost some good mats from the flood drawdown, but there are still mats up and down the lake

Strato-G

porthos33 - 10/14/2018 3:47 PM

Yeah there is plenty of grass at least down to the nukes....Definately lost some good mats from the flood drawdown, but there are still mats up and down the lake

Looks as if water came up today, some of mats now under water...jmo..... emoGeezer emoUSA

Silverfish

Buddy, they don't want out of towners on their home lake, you can't get a straight answer out of them !!! You just have to take your chances.....

JohnnyG

We fished it today and there’s hardly any mats like we found the previous two years, up north at least. Fished a frog and it was a very non-aggressive bite. Seen plenty of activity, but they would just boil or swipe at it. And out of towners are what keeps the economy going, just sayin’ lol.

churly

The mats are about 1/10 what they were 2 weeks ago