Pollution in Chick n Nick?

WaterChap

So I’ve been hearing that the rains have washed E. coli into our water, but I can’t find anything about it online. What’s the deal? Does anyone know if this is for real and when it might end? Is there a site tracking this? I don’t see anything on TWRA.

WaterChap

I would think so, but I just read here on the CFF that they’re restricting the fishing area in an upcoming tournament out of concern for the judges handling the fish. I don’t know where this is coming from.

WaterChap - 10/9/2018 6:36 PM

I would think so, but I just read here on the CFF that they’re restricting the fishing area in an upcoming tournament out of concern for the judges handling the fish. I don’t know where this is coming from.

The Cff Championship tournament is this weekend. Its a two day tournament with day 1 being on Nickajack, The comments you read were between club members joking with other members about fishing below the sewage treatment plant on Nickajack. It was totally a joke.

mjwendorf

Actually E. coli levels were high in the river with all the flooding we had. I believe it was reported levels were 20 times higher then the safe level for swimming. It was one of the reasons the swim portion of the ironman was cancelled.

FirstLight

Raw sewage flows into the river when there is excessive flooding. I took this pic the day the water was on the rise. This is spilling into a drainage ditch that is only a few hundred yards from the Tennessee River.

Attachments

• imageedit_8_4553121604.jpg
    imageedit_8_4553121604.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 230

WaterChap

So does anyone let everyone know when it is safe again? I knew they cancelled the Ironman swim, but had assumed it was for current level and debris.

rsimms

Sorry I didn't weigh in on this. I am just getting home from a 10-day road trip to South Carolina and Louisiana. Yes, many fish were caught. And obviously I was not checking in on CFF.

As someone mentioned, had any official government agency or health department known of any dangerous levels of E. coli they would have issued news releases to all the news outlets.... which in turn, would have gone bonkers!!!

I know if you ever have such questions you can message my old cronies at WTVC NewsChannel 9 via Facebook or Twitter and likely get a very quick response. Or send e-mail to producers@newschannel9.com