How to clean boat carpet?

Gator

Does anyone have a way to clean boat carpet without pressure washing? Thanks.

Gator

Yes, I will never pressure wash my boat carpet. Just hoping someone has a good way besides that.

elwestb

Soak it down with a couple of gallons of white vinegar and then wash it all out at a spray car wash. The acid in the vinegar helps to cut away the oils and crude in the carpet. Smells kinda of funky for a couple of days though!

lafae7

Boat carpet should have a latex backing preventing water to soak though. IMO from working in textile chemistry you have the wrong boat carpet if the glue gets soaked with water.

FishingwithRusty

took some work but a stiff bristled scrub brush, water hose and then shop vac

BulletTJ

Wet carpet completely. Use a non bleach laundry detergent mixed well in a bucket of warm water. Pour some on the carpet and brush with a nylon brush. Cover the entire carpet. I start at the front and work my way back. Rinse completely. Parking the boat on a slope helps with this, just be sure and pull the drain plug. After all soap is out, shop vac the carpet. Before it dries, spray it with a 50/50 blend of Downey Fabric Softener and water. Rinse carpet again. This time when you shop vac the carpet use a clean nylon brush and brush against the grain on the carpet while you vacuum. I know this is a lot of work but trust me the carpet will look and feel like new. The fabric softener will cut down on future stains and it makes the next cleaning much easier.

Gator

Thanks to everyone!