Lew's HyperMag Reel Cast/Tension Control Knob Issues

JohnnyG

I have two of these reels and they are great except for the cast control knobs. When I put on a lure approx. 1/2oz or more, I have to turn the knob all the way down because the lure falls fast no matter what. Then I end up backlashing or worrying about backlashing and having to overuse my thumb which is limiting my distance. This has happened to me on three diff HyperMags now because I returned one of them to see if I would have the same issue and I did. I have a BB1 Pro that doesn't do this. And no, I didn't tighten the cast control knob down all the way to begin with - I just had to keep tightening it down when adjusting for the lure as it would not slow the fall. Even turned all the way, the lure still falls extremely fast, way faster than it should. Has anyone had trouble like this with this reel or any other reel? And if so, how did you fix the issue? Any jerry rigged parts to put into the bottom of the cast control knob that could add tension to the spool shaft without messing up the shaft? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

FirstLight

I do not have the hypermag reel but i have a lot of different Lews model reels and on some of them in order to get them to cast right, I had to adjust the internal brake shoes. 2 of them set to the "on" position seems to be the best setting for me on most of them.

Hope this helps.

Pop-R

look inside the adjusting knob cap. There should be a thin shim on most models in the cap. If it has been off it could have fallen out. If you have a diagram you could look to see if there was one. I have had to replace some before. They are usually a metal or hard plastic. If it is still there you can take it out and add a thin tiny piece of paper behind it to make the increase the tension. just test it if not better add more behind it. I have seen the shaft wear into the spacer and change the clearance. If there is just the cap you could add a thin metal or copper shim in there.

JohnnyG

Thanks. I fixed it using a thin soft piece of copper I cut from a sheet I got from Lowe’s. Works great now! Those plastic shims used by Lew’s are just too soft on these HyperMags. They dimple way too easy which like you said Pop-R, creates too much clearance to get tension. Thanks again.