1998 mercury 200 hp efi prop shaft

danrnsmyth

I hit a log on Cherokee and bent my prop and sent it off to be repaired. When I checked the runout on my prop shaft it is .020 with the factory specs at .005. So I wondered if anyone knew if the bearing carrier can be removed without having to disassemble the clutch dog or does the clutch dog come out with the shaft? and a second question GLM makes a prop shaft for about 250.00 bucks and if anyone had any experience with those parts or should this be replaced by a mercury factory shaft only? Thanks

silvertalon

The Carrier comes out 1st. Then the pinion nut, pinion gear and driveshaft come out. Then the propshaft and clutch assembly will slide out. You'll need several special tools and a seal kit. The proceedure should be on youtube. All after market shafts are machined to factory specs. You might be better off turning it in to your insurance for a replacement lower and propeller.

danrnsmyth

Thanks Silver Talon, I don't have insurance on the boat, it is like a 1997 391 ranger and has about 250 hours on the motor. I had pulled and replaced bearings and seals in a little 15 hp mercury but never anything this size. I had actually though about buying a GLM replacement shaft and putting new bearings and seals and reassemble, but it seems I can turn a simple job into a life altering project sometimes.

Oldman

Danny let me look and make sure that i still have my old lower unit.i think the prop shaft is good.you may have to cut the case open to get it out.the man that does my motor couldn't get it apart.if you wanna give it a try it yours for free.i gotta go some where right now but let me know if u r interested and i will look when i get back in a couple of hours.

Oldman

i do still have it danny.come get it when you want.sent u a pm