Dam fishing

Adamsoutdoors

Coming down for a week tomorrow. We have always went below chickamauga dam fishing for whatever tugs the line, however this year we are staying in Soddy and the drive seems about the same to watts bar dam ramp as to chick dam ramp.

We are primarily fishing with bass lures, worms, jigs, swimbaits, cranks. What’s the better spot to put my old man on a big dam fish?

(I will be in my bass boat so running etc is no issue)

All advice welcome. Thanks guys.

porthos33

Dude its been pretty good at chick dam. I haven't been to watts bar in a while so I can't tell you how good it is but I bet it is good b/c they have been pulling the water good. I caught a 7.32 below chick last week and another guy on here had a 10.5 also. His may have come at night but not sure.

Adamsoutdoors

Nice. I don’t plan on running down there at night I’m not that comfortable with it. But we will sure grind one day down that way. My dad is an old school dude who just likes to feel a tug but I would love for him to have a great trip. Never know how many father son trips you get as we get older.

porthos33

Then yeah it should be good! That bait has been everywhere and the fish have been right behind it. I'm Always trying to put my father in law on some big guns. He is plagued with never catching a bass over 5Lbs and I gotta get him a biggun!

Tight_Lines

not to stir the pot.. but below the Chick Dam has been REALLY tough for me this year!! though i have been fishing at 4p in the afternoon and from the bank. last year the bait and shad were EVERYWHERE!! and this year i have not seen much. though im sure a different time of day and in a boat can change things Drastically!!! Question... I have a fishing Yak and have always wanted to put in at dam how safe is the water near bank around chatt state? i fished in several times from shore, just never from my yak.. thanks in advance..

Adamsoutdoors

We struggled 2 days at both dams. I think it’s time of year and flow. But I’m not a local. I fish dams a lot though and with that kind of flow the bait isn’t there. Even at night like it usually is. We caught some drums and a gar and 2-3 bass In two days of trying. With the flow now I wouldn’t kayak below the dam but I hate paddling.