Rod Setups for Summer

WaterChap

***WaterChap’s 100th Post***

I’m interested in how people set up their rods for summer fishing. If you’re interested in sharing, answer the following, numbering the rods if you’re willing. I’m trying to think through my set up.

How many rods do you take with you?
How are each set up with rod, reel and line?
What are you using each for?

Example:

Four Rods
1) 7’ med heavy baitcasting reel 7.5:1 strung with 30# braid for grass (frogs)
2) 6’8” med heavy baitcasting reel 5.4:1 strung with 12# floro for Texas rigging
3) 7’ med heavy baitcasting reel 5.4:1 with 12# floro for deeper water Carolina rigging
4) 6’6’ med spinning rod with 12# mono for topwater

And thanks for responding to my tournament-qualifying post!

porthos33

What I've been taking lately.....

-1/4 texas rig creature bait to flip
-3/8 wobble shakey head with plum ole monster
-spook
-chatterbait
-3/32oz shakeyhead with mag finesse trick worm spinning rod with 8-12lb flouro leader(when its slow this gets bites)
-1/2 & 3/4oz football head jig

-drop shot (spin rod) 3/16-1/4oz
-deep diving crank bait
-magnum spoon
-3/4 oz shakey head w/mag trick worm
-1oz scrounger w/Super Fluke

If I'm not fishing deep, I usually just leave the last 5 options in the box so they aren't in the way. Use p-line cxx clear 12lb test for just about everything except spinning rods I use braid main line.

porthos33

Oh yeah and I think you have to have 200 posts to fish in the CFF. So as long as your partner has 100 posts too you are good to go!

My standard summer arsenal includes:

7' MH/fast w/ a 7.1:1 reel spooled w/ 65# braid for frogs
7'4" M/mod w/ a 6.3:1 reel spooled w/ 20# braid for topwater
7'4" M/mod w/ a 5.4:1 reel spooled w/ 12# fluoro for crankin'
7' MH/fast w/ 7.1:1 reel spooled w/ 15# fluoro for jigs, t-rig
7'6" MH/mod w/ 7.1:1 reel spooled w/ 15# fluoro (sometimes a 20# braid) mainline, 12# leader for c-rig
6'6" spinning spooled w/ 10# fluoro for flukes, weightless soft plastix

VolsFan24

I always take more rods than i need. With that said, what I’ve been pulling out of the box lately has been:
-7’4” H/F, 8:1 reel, 15lb fluoro for jigs and texas rig
-7’3” MH/XF, 8:1 reel, 10lb fluoro for 3/16oz shakeyhead
-7’3” MH/F, 7:1 reel, 12lb fluoro for moving baits (swim, spinner, chatter)
-7’11” deep crank stick, 5:1 reel, 12 lb fluoro
-6’10” MH/MF, 6:1 reel, 12 lb mono for walking baits
-7’0” MH/F, 6:1 reel, 15 lb mono for buzzbait/plopper
-7’0” M/F, 5:1 reel, 20lb braid to 8lb fluoro leader for drop shot

If fishing at night, i pretty much just use #1 and #3 while everything else stays in the box.

WaterChap

Thanks for the replies! I’m still lean on equipment, so I’m thinking about set-ups every time I go out. Funny, before I got my boat, I thought I had plenty of equipment. I’d take two poles on a boat with friends and they would have a pile. Now I understand. But it ain’t cheap!

WaterChap

Porthos, I didn’t realize each boat needed 200 total! I have a new goal! Thanks for the heads up!

alicia ayers

I love this reply from everyone regarding their setups > you get a feel for how everyone gets the job done ! Very informative and helpful to lots of others who may just be starting and yes it can be very expensive Waterchap , keeping all reels spooled up and when you catch a big fish, sometimes have to change the line out depending on if caught on rocky bottom or where a huge muscle bed is, keep that in mind . Don't want to lose a big girl due to a frayed line. I also want to add that I will throw a 5" black lizard a majority of time especially if water is stained or dirty , and they are handpoured from Doug at HandpouredBaits His number is (615)568-5229 Very good baits and very reasonable Ive gone thru @75 black lizards this year and had to place an order for another 50 He charges 25.00 plus shipping and thats a good deal for a bag of 50 baits has worms craws etc. give him a call I usually end up with carrying @ 8 rods with me and very similar with the above listings from everyone 65 lb braid for grass 17lb.mono top water and 14-17 lb flouro for everthing else 30 lb. braid on spinning reels as backer and 17lb. flouro leader . Try the black lizard carolina rigged may catch you a big girl !!!!

Softbaitmaker

Thanks for letting folks know about my baits Alicia. Glad your having sucess on those black lizards. I make many different types of soft baits and if anyone is interested in seeing them you can PM me your email address and I will be more that glad to send you pictures and information about them. my email is drichards.sr@gmail.com and phone number is listed in Alicia's post but I will post it again. 615-568-5229. If you get my voice mail please leave a message and I will get back with you shortly. I don't answer the phone when I am pouring baits.

Softbaitmaker

Hows the arm and wrist doing buddy? Hope it is healing up and your back on the water soon. Give me a shout when you get time and let me know how your doing.
Softy