New mercury or rebuild my motor?

canoe fisherman

Does anyone know what a new mercury 150 cost and what it may cost to rebuild a 1977 Johnson 140. The fuel economy and better response of the new mercury will be better than my old motor for sure. But the price 's the amount of fishing I get to do is the kicker... Ideas?

Mikie9

Depends on your financial situation. New motor is awesome and rebuilding an old one can be fun, but spend a lot or spend a lot over time. It becomes a personal choice of what is important.

fishing freak

Since Mercury has stopped building 2 stroke motors and going to only 4 stroke, I have seen lots of people trading in their Mercury 2 stroke motors. You may be able to find a good deal on a used motor.

churly

New 150 opti is gonna run $14k+. Rebuild $4k max

fischnrod

Adding / changing controls from Johnson to Mercury is another $1,000 bucks but you know the rules.

B O A T

B= BREAK

O= OUT

A=ANOTHER

T=THOUSAND

Jig-Junky

Cheaper to rebuild.

If your gonna do it yourself, promarineusa.com is the best place I have found to buy parts.

If you're gonna have it done, talk to Joey at Chattanooga Marine 706.891.9921

That's my .02

FishingwithRusty

call Duck River Marine! trade your motor on one of thiers

silvertalon

No one will probly even touch an old '77 rebuild project. Its a waste of money. Plus, a new powerhead on an old lower unit is a no-no. Try the NE Georgia Vo-Tech for an old rebuild. They will do it for the cost of parts. I'd look for a good used or rebuilt motor. OMC so you don't need to change out the controls. A new motor might be a good choice if you plan to hang it on a newer boat in the future. IMO