Being Considerate when having a tournament.

So I know this will probably have a few of you thinking I can just go f myself but I have to say this. I know we all love to fish and the daily dogfights are a lot of fun. Seeing all the big fish weighed in and such and all the good people. That being said I think we need to start being a little more aware of some things.. Things like pulling your boat up and out of the way when you load up.. Not parking right close to the weigh in site making it hard for others to get through.. Another thing we should be aware of is taking up all the space on the docks that are mainly for loading and unloading your boat.. I understand you have fish to weigh and maybe didnt put in where the weigh in is.. So if you have a partner let them out with the fish and then go tie up away from the loading and unloading dock.. Last night when I pulled up to the dock at HBSP there was no space to tie up and it seemed all the boats were there for the weigh in.. I just want us to not forget there are others out there and how we conduct ourselves goes a long way as to how they act when they see us on the water.. I hear all the time about the idiots in the ski boats and how close they come to us and such.. Every wonder if maybe things like what I have mentioned might have skewed how they treat us? Again this is not directed at any one person or group I just think we need to realize the impact of what do and how it causes people to view us..

I would like to know that people running these weekday tournament would have a little brief before blast off reminding the anglers of these things..

derek81

While we are on the subject, some also need to know not to pull up to the top of the ramp then proceed to unstrap and and get the boat ready for launch on the top of the ramp, use the parking lot for that and don't block the top of the ramp....and I am not talking about the tournament guys

Chief -

A good reminder on the importance of the Golden Rule. We can't change anyone/everyone else but we have absolute control over how we behave. Doing the right thing is infectious. Catch the fever. Respect matters.

ATW,
B

Nauticman

Good points made by all.

True we cant change everybody and in many cases anybody... Just hoping we can have a little self policing so to speak.. I know most dont do things intentionally to cause problems for others..

bluewingjb - 7/10/2018 8:39 AM

So I know this will probably have a few of you thinking I can just go f myself but I have to say this. I know we all love to fish and the daily dogfights are a lot of fun. Seeing all the big fish weighed in and such and all the good people. That being said I think we need to start being a little more aware of some things.. Things like pulling your boat up and out of the way when you load up.. Not parking right close to the weigh in site making it hard for others to get through.. Another thing we should be aware of is taking up all the space on the docks that are mainly for loading and unloading your boat.. I understand you have fish to weigh and maybe didnt put in where the weigh in is.. So if you have a partner let them out with the fish and then go tie up away from the loading and unloading dock.. Last night when I pulled up to the dock at HBSP there was no space to tie up and it seemed all the boats were there for the weigh in.. I just want us to not forget there are others out there and how we conduct ourselves goes a long way as to how they act when they see us on the water.. I hear all the time about the idiots in the ski boats and how close they come to us and such.. Every wonder if maybe things like what I have mentioned might have skewed how they treat us? Again this is not directed at any one person or group I just think we need to realize the impact of what do and how it causes people to view us..

I would like to know that people running these weekday tournament would have a little brief before blast off reminding the anglers of these things..
Well said. Dock space is precious real estate particularly this time of year with the influx of pleasure boating. Heck, I’ve come into lawn chairs, Sun bathers, coolers and jet skis using the dock at wolftever within the past month lol.

churly

I try to avoid their rush which is predictable since its at the same time every week, but I agree completely.

Tn bullet

It’s the same way on sat at the park Justin I agree with you 110% it’s not just weekday dogfights it all the Saturday ones as well I watch the docks full of people on Saturday at cfp talking and drinking coffee put in get off the dock it’s not the tie up hang out dock

Maybe we should see if we can get these places to put signs that say something like The dock is for boat loading and unloading. No tying to dock to exceed 15 minutes or something like that..

BassERT

please add "turn off your lights on your tow vehicle when in the dark using the ramp as a courtesy to others".

emoCool

bassnbuck

I agree with all of the points made and it happens to me on a regular basis! I would love to see the CBA'ers not tie up to the outside of the dock prior to a tournament. We usually have one small gap for the nose of the boat when we get picked up from parkin the truck. It's extremely annoying. Go float around in the open water with everyone else that does it the courteous way.

I have to say I am a little surprised nobody has blasted me yet.. Thats a good thing.. Yes there needs to be some boat ramp rules signs at all ramps. The light thing is one that really bugs me that and people prepping their boats on the ramp.. I will say I do that sometimes but that takes me all of about 2 minutes.. I wonder if we as a group here came up with say 6-10 "rules" could we get the owners of the property where the ramps are to put the signs up? I know I would chip in 20 bucks for them just to make things smoother loading and unloading..

wjhfish

Most people will laugh at or ignore your signs. I know that I have been guilty a few time at the ramp for taking too long, truth be know we all have. Now I have everything ready to put in and go. All I have to do when I back into the water is undo my bow strap.

WaterChap

A Ten Commandments of Launching and Trailering, or something like that would be super helpful to me as a noob at the ramp. Would love a checklist to help me not be THAT GUY.

fischnrod

BassERT - 7/11/2018 5:46 AM

please add "turn off your lights on your tow vehicle when in the dark using the ramp as a courtesy to others".

emoCool

I have said this to a couple of people and they said they didn't know how on the newer trucks because they are automatic and it's their buddy's truck who is in the boat launching

Hook1

Every truck I’ve been in has a headlight selector swith. Even if it has automatic headlights. Just turn them to the Parking lights or to the Off position. Lots of people I think just simply don’t know any better.

So lets see 10 rules that might be a few more than we need. Here is the ones that came to mind

1. Be courteous to other boaters as we are all here to enjoy ourselves
2. Prep your boat before getting on the ramp the ramp is NOT the place for that this includes going into and coming out of the water
3. At night make sure your headlights are off when on the ramp
4. The dock next to the ramp is for loading and unloading not for long term ( more the 15 minutes ) docking
5. When coming out of the water please do not stop to prep your boat for travel close to the ramp others need the space to turn around and back down the ramp.

Any suggestions or additions?? Again I do want to say thank you to all the comments and suggestions.. You know a lot of this is common sense to those of us who frequent the ramp but not so much for others. I know the signs wouldnt stop all the idiots but I have a feeling it would help

porthos33

fischnrod - 7/12/2018 8:02 AM
BassERT - 7/11/2018 5:46 AM please add "turn off your lights on your tow vehicle when in the dark using the ramp as a courtesy to others". emoCool
I have said this to a couple of people and they said they didn't know how on the newer trucks because they are automatic and it's their buddy's truck who is in the boat launching
This right here!! Even a lot of the tournament guys I fish with leave theirs on. A lot of times the guy backing the truck and trailer down aren't the owner of the truck. So I just politely yell down and ask them to turn them off so I can back. Bad thing for me is, the ramps I typically use don't have any signs for this.

finbully

bluewingjb - 7/12/2018 12:02 PM

So lets see 10 rules that might be a few more than we need. Here is the ones that came to mind

1. Be courteous to other boaters as we are all here to enjoy ourselves
2. Prep your boat before getting on the ramp the ramp is NOT the place for that this includes going into and coming out of the water
3. At night make sure your headlights are off when on the ramp
4. The dock next to the ramp is for loading and unloading not for long term ( more the 15 minutes ) docking
5. When coming out of the water please do not stop to prep your boat for travel close to the ramp others need the space to turn around and back down the ramp.

Any suggestions or additions?? Again I do want to say thank you to all the comments and suggestions.. You know a lot of this is common sense to those of us who frequent the ramp but not so much for others. I know the signs wouldnt stop all the idiots but I have a feeling it would help

6. Practice backing your trailer in an empty parking lot (cuts down on folks laughing at you and frees up the ramp quicker).