Kayak Keel repair..

Tight_Lines

I am having to do some reinforcing/ repairing to the keel of my Kayak. i have what seems to be a few thin places, and i think its polyetholene material. my Kayak is the Pelican catch 120. what is the best application to repair these thin places on the keels and that would last?? thanks in advance and Tight Lines to all!!

JEEPnFISH

YouTube. They show using a metal screen backing and melting in the hdpe plastic with a heat tool from harbor freight.

bullshot

Actually you want low density plastic, not HDPE. You will need the flex that LDPE provides. Plastic welding is the way to go, but getting the temperatures just right is more of an art than science. Good luck, pelican is pretty soft plastic.

BulletTJ

FLEX TAPE! Sorry I couldn't help myself. Their commercials crack me up. They do say it is good stuff but I don't know for sure.
emoLaugh

Tight_Lines

Bullshot,
that was one of my concerns with it when i got the boat but it was the the design and bang for buck that i liked. LDPE ( Low Density Poly Etholene)? and where can i find it?
thanks again!

bullshot

Yes Low-density polyethylene

For small areas, melting milk jugs, 5-gallon buckets, playskool playground (color matches well) etc works fine. Most polyethylene plastic welding rod (PE) is going to be low density (Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Grainger etc). You might be able to find someone with high grade welders who using them to make bumper repairs for used car dealers. They will not only have better equipment, but also have some experience at bonding/welding the plastic.

Here is a good read: http://www.kingplastic.com/tips-for-welding-thermoplastics/