Battery charger setup

Lx545

I have a 2 battery setup. 1 for trolling and 1 for engine. My boat had a dual pro lp2 that was original to the boat in 2008. I had a bank go bad and boiled my trolling battery dry and killed it at 13 months old. I leave it plugged unattended except when I am rigged up to go fish. After talking to dual pro, they said they do not service or carry parts for this charger anymore. I replaced the battery and decided to go with a minn kota digital 2 bank charger for warranty and price reasons. Mounted everything and hooked it up and was good to go. Batteries charge up good and I am sighing relief about $300 later with a 2 year warranty on battery and 3 year on the charger. Got back from a trip last night and hooked it up. Everything looked good. Decided to check this morning and low and behold the charger is dead as nails. Wont even come on. Took it back to academy for exchange on a 2 day old charger. No problems there but I am questioning putting this one back in the boat unmonitored. I was thinking of leaving it out of boat and finding some quick disconnects to have the charger in sight at all times so I don't have to lift the hatch to check it. Does anybody do this and has anybody had bad luck with these chargers? They have awesome reviews online.

Gator

I had a 2 bank Minkota charger for probably 8 years with no issues. I did not leave it on all the time. Just plugged it up the day before going fishing.

Gator

I had a 2 bank Minkota charger for probably 8 years with no issues. I did not leave it on all the time. Just plugged it up the day before going fishing. Never failed.

fischnrod

All I can say is === I've had Dual Pro for close to 20 years and would not use anything else if I had the choice

Lx545

Well I thought that myself as this one lasted 10 years. I am not sure how good the dual pro real pro is but it only has a 2 year warranty. Same price point as minn kota but the warranty is why I chose minn kota.

camaro88z

I have 2 boat. On one I have the 2bank and the other a 3. Both are minnkota. I also install a 3 bank on brother in-laws boat. A friend of mine also has a 2 bank. Never had that issue with any of them. Only thing I would be worried about is the possibility that the other battery you have could be bad causing this issue.

jbh3

I like the Dual Pro "Professional" series chargers as well. Doubtful you'll ever have a warranty claim., but they are a good outfit that will support the customer well. Personally, I would NOT leave any charger plugged in, unattended 24/7. IMO, too many bad things can happen, not the least of which is burning your house down. Bring the batteries to full charge ASAP after leaving the lake, then unplug the charger. If you're a few days between trips, plug the charger in the evening before the next trip until the lights go green again. Shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes for that to happen unless you have a device putting a drain on them. Best of luck whatever you decide.

FishingwithRusty

jbh3 - 7/5/2018 10:16 AM

Personally, I would NOT leave any charger plugged in, unattended 24/7. IMO, too many bad things can happen, not the least of which is burning your house down. Bring the batteries to full charge ASAP after leaving the lake, then unplug the charger. If you're a few days between trips, plug the charger in the evening before the next trip until the lights go green again. Shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes for that to happen unless you have a device putting a drain on them. Best of luck whatever you decide.

good advice!!!!

Lx545

Good replies. Both batteries charged up fine with an external charger. I'm not sure if I got a dud or what. Hadnt given it much thought on a fire hazard since the previous owner did the same as me. I have kids as did he and just have always left it plugged up in case they left something on. It was my understanding that the auto chargers are set to turn off after full charge and only maintain. I was thinking this was best for battery life. I guess now I will be rethinking that process. I do not have a drain anywhere. I verified that when the trolling battery was dead. I may very well take this one back and get the dual pro real pro as the first minn kota took a dump so quickly.

jbh3

Lx545 - 7/5/2018 11:22 AM

Good replies. Both batteries charged up fine with an external charger. I'm not sure if I got a dud or what. Hadnt given it much thought on a fire hazard since the previous owner did the same as me. I have kids as did he and just have always left it plugged up in case they left something on. I<u>t was my understanding that the auto chargers are set to turn off after full charge and only maintain. I was thinking this was best for battery life.</u> I guess now I will be rethinking that process. I do not have a drain anywhere. I verified that when the trolling battery was dead. I may very well take this one back and get the dual pro real pro as the first minn kota took a dump so quickly.
</p>

That's the way some are designed to work, and they do perform as designed 99% of the time. Again, just my opinion, you are placing a LOT of trust in in an assembly of components that probably individually cost less than a nickel each. Check back for a thread from a year or so ago about the CFF member's family that lost their house to a fire that was suspected to have been started by a faulty charger or an overcharged battery. It's just not worth the risk to me.
</p>

Lx545

Oh I most certainly agree. Like I said I haven't given it too much thought but I thank you for bringing up the point. I've got some things to consider and I may not put a charger back in the boat because if I have to keep an eye on it then the convenience of an onboard does nothing for me in my opinion. I would like to find an alternative to alligator clips such as some sort of plug and just leave the charger mounted on the wall in my garage. This wouldnt be so out of sight out of mind and I wouldn't forget to plug it up before a trip.