Collins River for Muskie or other fish...

Tight_Lines

some Friends and I are heading to the Collins River off the Great Falls Lake next weekend. we have never been there but have heard good things about it and muskie as well. we will be Kayak Fishing and camping way down stream. im looking for any information regarding the river: baits, set ups, rigs, what ever info you are willing to trade would be Great!! Tight Lines to all!!

burnett1988

Fished it many of times, Full of fish Trout,bass the occasional Musky sighting. Never caught one on colins river but on the ELK River we threw big Smithwick Jerkbaits and caught them...

rsimms

Hope it's not too late but you might want to call Dwayne Hickey (https://www.facebook.com/dwayne.hickey.96). (931) 273-7937

He guides for musky on the Collins. I'm not sure how much detail he'd be willing to share... but I feel sure he might give you some general pointers. Or better yet, book him and I assure you that you'll get a GREAT lesson on pursuing muskies. I've fished with Dwayne a couple of times and it is a great experience.

gaspergou

If you fish for muskies, please only target them in the mornings. Water temperatures have been getting into the 80s during the afternoons/evenings of late, and catching them when it’s that hot will kill them. Switch to smallmouth and rockbass in the afternoon and evening, or go up to Melton Hill where the upper part of the reservoir stays comparatively cold from Norris releases.

Also, be sure you’re prepared to safely handle a three to four foot long fish from your kayak. Big, deep net and long hemostats at a minimum. Last year I watched a group of folks pull a mid-30” muskie into a canoe that proceeded to thrash wildly around all over the place, with the woman shrieking “Hit it with the paddle! Kill it!” (despite a 50” length limit on muskies in the system). It bounced out and broke off before I could paddle over and help. It’s a wonder they didn’t flip the canoe.

Tight_Lines

Thanks for all the info! and will handle them carefully. if lucky enough to hook one hopefully can find a place on the shore line to fight it in.. will try and do quick release and get them back in to river to fight another day! we are going next weekend and hopefully the weather will be good. on another thing... does the Collins River feed off the above the dam or below?? and it is off of Great Falls lake.. correct??
thanks again!