Colored bullet weights

Jpull

A Texas rig is one of my favorite ways to fish a worm or creature bait. Has anyone had any experience with colored bullet weights? I've tried some black ones before but it didn't really seem to make much difference so I usually just stick with basic lead. Anyone out there using colored weights and seeing any advantages?

Thanks

BulletTJ

I dont think color of the weight matters. If you havent tried the tungsten you should. I know they arent cheap but they do give you more feel for the bottom.

jb366

BulletTJ - 5/14/2018 7:38 AM

I dont think color of the weight matters. If you havent tried the tungsten you should. I know they arent cheap but they do give you more feel for the bottom.

Tungsten are definitely the way to go but make sure you put a sleeve in the weight. Even the "sleeveless" weights will cut your line in about 10 casts.

Dropshot

Staff member
Check with Johnny at DJ Marine. He carries tungsten at very reasonable prices.

FishingwithRusty

in really clear water i like the painted weights but we dont have to worry about that around here :)

finbully

jb366 - 5/14/2018 8:40 AM

BulletTJ - 5/14/2018 7:38 AM

Tungsten are definitely the way to go but make sure you put a sleeve in the weight. Even the "sleeveless" weights will cut your line in about 10 casts.

You can also use "bobber stoppers" Eagle Claw makes them. They protect your knot and can be moved up the line as a type of Carolina Rig too. My fishing buddy just told me about them two weeks ago - I'm sold on the idea. $1.99 for ten at Soddy Custom Tackle.

Pointer 78

I spray paint mine flat black. I don't know if it makes a difference or not. Something I've always done. Perhaps a confidence thing?

Anything that distracts a fish from the shape, color and action of a lure I would think reduces a lure effectiveness. I'd stay away from brightly colored weights for that reason alone.

RRB32

I think its more of a confidence thing.. the majority of the time I'm using plain lead, no paint. I do have tungsten weights I use as well and they are either black or green pumpkin.. I don't think it makes a difference.

TCros49

I have some black, some brown, some red, some olive. Not because they catch more fish but because January's a long, cold month and you gotta do something!

elwestb

I have some jig heads and bullet weights that are painted and some unpainted. Some jigs too. I don't really think a fish cares whether it is painted or not. It's a sells gimmick as far as I'm concerned for us silly fisherman. If it looks neat, pretty and is attractive to us anglers then we think it should have the same affect on the fish only the fish don't know it yet. Nobody has told them! I've seen some absolutely ugly colors on baits that worked for some unexplainable reason other than the angler simply got the bait in front of the fish! Most of the time colors of baits are designed to catch fisherman first and foremost. The manufacture doesn't really care if you catch a fish or not. They are simply out to make them pretty and to sell the baits. But if they hit on a color for a big national Tx. win and it produces again elsewhere then that's a bonus and they have repeat business. On occasions I have seen where a color maybe made a difference but I think it's rare. Occasionally in clear water, muddy water or if you are fishing in the day time or night time there might be some difference. But most of the time if a fish sees a bait, wants it and it's in front of him he'll bite it! I don't think they care about the color of the eyes, scales, weights or hooks. Remember those silly ads about bleeding red hooks and bleeding baits that would attract fish? Then the ads came out about the red fishing line because red was invisible in the water to fish!? Well, which one is it? Is it an attractant or is it invisible? I don't think a fish looks at a worm and then sees the weight painted or unpainted and says to himself, that doesn't look right. And most of the time the weighted end of the bait is down in the grass, mud, rocks and gravel or whatever anyway! JMO!

Jig-Junky

IMO - painted weights are there to catch fishermen, not fish. I agree with others, here that color does not matter.
But, if you get confidence in a painted weight, you will catch more fish on it, but it's your confidence, not the colored
weight that will catch em.