Megabass jerkbaits

FirstLight

I am curious, does anyone out there want to share their opinion on this line of JB’s? I have been tempted to buy one the last couple of years to try them out; but haven’t because of the price tag, and more importantly I have about a 1,000 JB’s.... but if they catch fish I want one. I was thinking about the 110 in the GP sexy Shad color....

Any input is appreciated.

porthos33

I'm glad you brought this up. I too have been thinking the same thing for about the last month. I know guys that are doing really good with the ten plus one that they say can get down to 9 feet. I just got a few academy brand jb's that run 6-8 and were a lot cheaper. 25 bucks is a lot, but for me jerk baits typically last a long time. I only threw the JB three casts today and laid it down for the rig. The tennessee shad in the 10 plus one has been the goto for a few guys i know. I'm really thinking I might just get one.

The price is painful, even for a well-off dood, but the simple truth is they out-fish every other jerk bait out there. I have been on the boat w/ other doods who were throwing a MB while I threw LCs and Rapalas in the ~same size and color. They out-caught me 5:1 easily. The combination of size, shape, rattles, and the action they impart is enticing to fish. These are the only JBs I throw now. Worth every penny, IMHO.

derek81

They are well worth the money. I have thrown them for years and they catch fish when other JB's don't.

DaytonBoatDock

To many people, they are definitely well worth the money. We have a great selection at the store if you want to come up and look at some in person. They have outsold any other jerkbait so far this winter.

FishingwithRusty

they definitely catch fish but its all about confidence, if you believe they work and throw them they will...........

djsmarinelectronics

Try a Yank-um Vision 110; practically identical to the Mega Bass for $16/bait. You might like it, you might love it, and save $10 a piece.

FirstLight

djsmarinelectronics - 1/4/2018 6:35 PM

Try a Yank-um Vision 110; practically identical to the Mega Bass for $16/bait. You might like it, you might love it, and save $10 a piece.

Thanks Johnny, I might just do that.

FirstLight

FishingwithRusty - 1/4/2018 11:52 AM

they definitely catch fish but its all about confidence, if you believe they work and throw them they will...........

Might be part of my issue. I’ve lost confidence in my go-to JB’s....

FirstLight

DaytonBoatDock - 1/4/2018 11:10 AM

To many people, they are definitely well worth the money. We have a great selection at the store if you want to come up and look at some in person. They have outsold any other jerkbait so far this winter.

Thanks. I will stop in if I’m up that way.

FirstLight

Thanks guys. I read some reviews about them and some said they are fragile. Of course, who knows if those guys were throwing them up in the rip/rap, against concrete, etc.

FirstLight

silvertalon - 1/4/2018 7:26 PM

KVD uses 'Strike King' they are $6.

Funny you say that, I bought one in the AYU color in late November and used it 3 trips and it caught fish - LM & SM, & spots for that matter. I fell in love with it. I had a 3lbr choke-it and the back of the bait broke when I was trying to get it out of the fish’s mouth. So I went and got a new one. Barely have had a sniff on the new one. I noticed it was not suspending so I played with the hooks and settled on one that gives it a real slow sink which is fine with me but still not catching fish. So I took that sucker off.... might be operator error lol....

silvertalon

The slow sink is what you want. Especially if it is slightly nose down. KVD changes all the hooks to the Mustad Triple Grip short shank . I plan to pick up a couple of them.

FirstLight

silvertalon - 1/4/2018 8:22 PM

The slow sink is what you want. Especially if it is slightly nose down. KVD changes all the hooks to the Mustad Triple Grip short shank . I plan to pick up a couple of them.

Thanks for info. Does he use #6’s?