Duck hunting

Willmrtn32

Where all on the chickamauga lake can someone duck hunt legally? I mainly hunt woods resivore and would like to have some more hunting spots closer to home

Thomn8r

Generally duck hunting in east tenn is an exercise in futility. Go to the TWRA.GOV site for rules and refs and public sites. Good luck

Blue76

Evidently there are a few ducks on the lower end... I saw 4 or 5 dead ducks floating in the grass where the hunter didn't care to pick them up.

Not sure I understand that... I am all for hunting but I don't see the point in shooting a bunch of ducks or any game just to let it rot...

Bor_outdoors

First split of duck season doesn't start until end of November so doubt the ducks are from a hunter unless it's from poaching.

rsimms

On Chickamauga Lake it is legal to hunt the shoreline ANYWHERE below the high water mark. And in many areas you can go above the high water mark (because it is TVA-owned). You need to consult TVA maps to determine those areas, but anywhere below the high water mark is definitely legal (with the exception noted below).

However it is illegal to hunt within 100 yards of an occupied dwelling without permission. However I personally think it is wise for hunters to totally avoid hunting anywhere near homes or populated areas, well beyond any legal limits, to prevent any conflicts (even if unwarranted). Even if you are within the letter of the law, hunting too close to occupied homes can easily create a very negative perception of hunters. In this day and age none of us need that.

Here are all your TN Waterfowl Regs. Read it: https://tn.gov/assets/entities/twra/attachments/waterfowlguide.pdf (FYI, the law I reference above is noted on Page 16).

Blue76

Bor_outdoors - 10/27/2017 8:56 PM First split of duck season doesn't start until end of November so doubt the ducks are from a hunter unless it's from poaching.
</p>

</p>

That's is interesting... I live in Ga so I am not familiar with Tenn huntingregs... but there were several dead and floating ducks just south of the nuke plant.</p>

I also saw a few floating gar that I suspect were from bow fishermen.. maybe they had something to do with the ducks ??</p>

lmk25

I've seen some big bass belly up after a fishing tournament too, but tend to refrain from blasting fisherman on a public site.

As to hunting ducks on the lakes and rivers around Chattanooga it can be miserable. I would much rather save my money and go to where the ducks are. The Mississippi river is a good place to start. There are more than a few WMA around that will hold ducks and more hunters through out the year. Scouting, Scouting, and Scouting is how you kill ducks in east Tennessee. Good Luck!

RRB32

Just make sure your not on the Hiwassee Refuge.. a big area mid lake, will get you in some serious trouble lol

I had decent luck on chickamauga this year. I killed a great looking redhead on one hunt. I would definitely put time in scouting. Scouting is key!!!

Triton20xHarris

It’s not worth the reward I’ve hunted that lake hard the past several years.. there’s to many morons out there to make me even wanna hunt up there. Yes you can kill ducks but you better dedicate a day of scouting for every one hunt if you wanna be successful.