How does eveyone store their phones and Keys while fishing?

Tight_Lines

just looking for info, I would rather not carry my phone with me on my Kayak. though it is nice to have to take pics of my catches. or also good to have in case of emergencies. so I bought a clear plastic dry box to keep my car keys and phone in. though last time i went out, and being out for a while i realized that my dry box really heats up to the point it turns off for safety in the sun and i do not currently have any other place to put it to keep it dry. how does everyone store their phones and keys while fishing? my current idea ( plastic dry box) apparently is not a good idea since it heats up so any help would be great!! thanks all!!

FishingwithRusty

in the glove box of my 21' Skeeter :) LOL!!!

benchwarmer

In my pocket so when it keeps going off i can silence it quickly. Still keep it powered on in case of the 911 call I may get from my wife.

wjhfish

Try a Ziploc bag with a piece of foam inside that will allow the bag to float if you did drop it into the water.

chillerman69

the console or glove box. I've lost an I Phone and an ultra cool flip phone, by keeping it close. I see a lot of people multi-tasking on the lake and am somewhat annoyed by the loud talking while trying to fish. I guess I'm anti-social but I'd rather fish than talk to people

lafae7

I got a life proof case. Which is waterproof so I never worry about where I keep it. Mostly under my driver seat though.

Tight_Lines

SlabDog - 4/21/2017 9:23 AM

Maybe putting the dry box into a white cloth bag will keep it cool enough?

Slabdog, thanks for the idea! i will have to try that one! i am also looking at dry storage i can install on my Kayak, but it needs to be the right size!! i have not found many places on the net that sell dry storage that i can install. though thanks for the advice!!

bullshot

I don't bring mine, started out before cell phones were a thing. Even then, learned pretty quick, especially whitewater kayaking, to leave the keys hidden near the vehicle. Seen keys lost way too many times.

For pictures, I use a waterproof camera. Pentax brand, and has a clip that goes to a ring inside my pfd pocket. Works great.

PS most cell phone cases are not waterproof (including life proof). When I do HAVE to bring my cell phone, it goes inside a hard sided Pelican case (which has warranty against cell phone and camera damage). Not the clear case, as those get brittle in the sun and eventually shatter.

silvertalon

Can't help ya with the limited kayak space issue but i keep my cell pn in my personal carry bag under the console and throw my keys in the TM foot pedal sump. Always have a cell pn on the water. Last week I locked up my gearcase running in to weigh at the CBA and was stranded. Luckily, had my pn. Do you have a small cooler in the kayak?

Justfishin118

I've always had good luck with the small bags that roll up and clip. Unless you drop it and it sits on the bottom for too long i doubt you'd have any trouble. Sportsmans usually has some good ones and they have a long necklace cord too so you can wear them. But they are defiantly compact and reasonably water proof.

procraft

zip lock bag with foam and rice in it to float and soak up any water that might get in and keep it under console works for me

Tight_Lines

thanks for all of the replies! i am sure one of these ideas will definitely work for me. guess i was only thinking of the dry aspect and not the heat aspect when i bought the case!

BRamsey

Haven't read all the replies but maybe you could find a lil bit of that foil tape like they use on duct work to put on the outside of your dry box to reflect the sun?

jman60

First thing I do is keep phone and Keys in separate ziplock bags. I may use my phone but don't need keys till I get back. Usually keep phone in Velcro close pocket on life jacket. Have to take a pic of that big fish.