A fire drill with Sonar, Down images.....(Pic Heavy)

Triton Mike

Thought I would share some images I took the other day..

This is how my morning started.. This image was a no brainer.. There are crappie suspended above the brush. They are a dead giveaway. Crappie are almost always on brush and have a vertical school formation. I call them wet sock fish because the fight like a wet sock LOL. The rest of the fish are smaller hybrids every once in a while you catch a kong spot up under the hybrids.

school4-1.jpg

Here's the sonar shot. You can tell from the small arches that these fish are small. 3lbs or less was my guess..

school6.jpg

Time to PHISH
school1-2.jpg

Tried this pallette for giggles.
school2-3.jpg

Now we catch... See how my spoon line starts to wiggle in the image on the way up LOL. Thats a fish fighting for it's life. He didn't like my directions LOL This is the split 83/200 screen. 200khz is on the right and 83khz is on the left. Whats the purpose of this??
school3-2.jpg

Here is part of the purpose. This chart is very useful if you can put your head around it.. But honestly with Side Imaging on the trolling motor you really don't need it much as you used to as it will tell you exactly what side of the boat these fish are that are on the edge of the cone. However, If you see a fish in 200khz screen and you can see your spoon YOUR CLOSE to that fish!!

fisharchfinal-1.jpg

More directional difficulties LOL.
school11.jpg

A lil hypnosis see the fish following the spoon :).
school13.jpg

Just FISH.

school8.jpg

school7.jpg

Ahhhh coming upon some brush in the picture.... Love spooning brush..
school16.jpg

Working some fish just inside the brush.
S00297.png

called one out of the brush to play..I have alot of air bubbles rising out of the fresh brush
S00298.png

Can you see the FISH???
school14.jpg

Is this any better :) Each color pallette does something better than the other so by experimenting with them you can make things stand out much better by sticking with one or two color pallette's

school12.jpg

If you ever see A fish or a group of fish suddenly rise off the bottom or go downward on your screen chances are very good they are joining another school of fish. It would be wise to follow them with your spoon. See how these two fish join 4 more. They rose from over 30ft to be with a school just under 20ft.

school10.jpg

IF you want ARCHES crank up the boat speed.

school15.jpg

SUCCESS

kenny3.jpg

kenny1.jpg

My partner in crime for today.. Notice Humminbird is having trouble LOL
kennyfinal.jpg

Between Kenny and I we got around 50 fish this morning from 650 to before 10am. We would have never found these fish if we didn't use our SI... They broke very little but only after we found them. Maybe for a minute they were schooling on top. All fish caught on spoons. Alot of guys rely on them to break. But if you have a slight wind they won't bust on the surface but they still feed. You just have to find them and with SI finding them is a pile easier.

Buoy-Master

SpurHunter - 8/1/2010 7:42 PM Thanks a TON for posting this Mike! I know you spend a lot of time over on GON, but your insight is really needed over here. I am starting to understand more of what my screen shows me by your in depth post. emoThumbsup emoThanks emoThanks emoThanks
</p>

So happyI could help you use the zoom feature BTW.. emoLaugh </p>

Remember, Read Your Manual! emoParty </p>

</p>

Dropshot

Staff member
Thanks Mike for contributing your knowledge. I know I find it very educational.

Triton Mike

If I can help you guys just let me know and post here. I'll make it a habit of coming over here more often. Someone has to keep tabs on Trizey :).

tnsojaman

Awesome post man. I learned alot from your post. I still dont think I fully understand everything and I may have to read it a few more times to get my head around it. Thanks again!!!

foodsaver

thats a ton of helpful info. Now if I can just scrounge up the money to buy a side scan sonar!

BADKARMA

Hey, triton mike! Glad to see you visit our forum. Thanks for advice about the HB si units and leading me to Brian. He went WAY above his call of duty to help me out and I ordered the 898 we had discussed on GON. Now I gotta figure out how to mount the sucker....and get the settings right....and how to use it.....oh, boy, this ought to be interesting.

Hook1

How do you set your unit to show the thermocline like that? That is usually a huge peice of the puzzle.

Gator

NOW THAT'S SOME GOOD INFORMATION RIGHT THERE!
THANKS MUCH!!!
emoWorthy

nwright

Something doesn’t look right on the split screen sonar images. The 83khz has a wider cone angle than the 200khz and therefore should show more of the bottom. In your images they show the same bottom coverage. Also, the 200khz is supposed to give better definition than the 83khz but in your examples the opposite is true. ????