Most memorable fishing trips

trbr81

I have been bass fishing for 40 some years. During that time I have had so many great trips that you never forget. Two really stick out. First one was about 15 years ago fishing warm water discharges in the Chesapeake bay in the Baltimore area. Took a friend from work with me and we caught nice sized stripers pretty much on ever cast for 4+hours. Next most memorable was last year on the St Lawrence. Had my son with me and my best friend in a small club tournament. We had limits of smallmouth weighing 22-8, 22-6 and 21-7. Unbelievable day in one of the most beautiful places to fish

What's yours?

Tom B

Shadman

Florida trip shiner fishing one day we hit the mother load a 15,12,10 and two nines will never forget that day

trbr81

Shadman - 12/21/2022 8:42 PM

Florida trip shiner fishing one day we hit the mother load a 15,12,10 and two nines will never forget that day

thats awesome - what a day

ChooChooSnakeMan

I'm blessed to have had many memorable fishing trips but one stands out. I am blessed with two great son in laws. About 15 years ago one of my son in laws Dad was diagnosed with Leukemia. He was in very serious condition. Touch and go and he had to be admitted to Vanderbilt Hospital for treatment. After a long time in the hospital he had to stay in an apartment in Nasville so he could be close to the hospital. He and my son in law loves the outdoors, fishing and hunting. After over a year of treatments he was miraculously healed and allowed to return to Chattanooga. He hadn't done any fishing or any recreational activities for over a year. It was spring time and my son in law asked if I would take him and his Dad fishing. Of course I was delighted so on a Saturday I met them and off we went. It was a beautiful day and honestly my prayer that morning was that God would keep us safe, that we catch some fish and that his Dad wouldn't over do it. I told them that when he got tired we would go in, even if it was just an hour. I put them in the boat and launched it and went to park the truck. When I got to the ramp they were grinning because the Dad had already caught a nice bass off the bank while I parked the truck. By 10:00 am we had put 54 fish in the boat. I asked if he was tired and ready to go in and he said, "no way I'm having the time of my life"! To make a long story shorter he wouldn't go in all day. We stayed out until 4:30 that evening and the three of us put 170 fish in the boat and we missed probably another 50. I've never had a day like that since. It was just a special time and I believe God honored my request for an extra special day. We caught fish all day long at every stop we made. It was unreal and there were lots and lots of bass 2 1/2 lbs and up to 4 1/2. I'll never forget that day and the fun we had sharing it.

trbr81

ChooChooSnakeMan - 12/22/2022 12:08 PM

I'm blessed to have had many memorable fishing trips but one stands out. I am blessed with two great son in laws. About 15 years ago one of my son in laws Dad was diagnosed with Leukemia. He was in very serious condition. Touch and go and he had to be admitted to Vanderbilt Hospital for treatment. After a long time in the hospital he had to stay in an apartment in Nasville so he could be close to the hospital. He and my son in law loves the outdoors, fishing and hunting. After over a year of treatments he was miraculously healed and allowed to return to Chattanooga. He hadn't done any fishing or any recreational activities for over a year. It was spring time and my son in law asked if I would take him and his Dad fishing. Of course I was delighted so on a Saturday I met them and off we went. It was a beautiful day and honestly my prayer that morning was that God would keep us safe, that we catch some fish and that his Dad wouldn't over do it. I told them that when he got tired we would go in, even if it was just an hour. I put them in the boat and launched it and went to park the truck. When I got to the ramp they were grinning because the Dad had already caught a nice bass off the bank while I parked the truck. By 10:00 am we had put 54 fish in the boat. I asked if he was tired and ready to go in and he said, "no way I'm having the time of my life"! To make a long story shorter he wouldn't go in all day. We stayed out until 4:30 that evening and the three of us put 170 fish in the boat and we missed probably another 50. I've never had a day like that since. It was just a special time and I believe God honored my request for an extra special day. We caught fish all day long at every stop we made. It was unreal and there were lots and lots of bass 2 1/2 lbs and up to 4 1/2. I'll never forget that day and the fun we had sharing it.

definitely a special day thanks for sharing

Was stationed in Arkansas 2005-2007. Was a paid vacation for me - fished the entire time I was there. First trip was to a small lake called Monticello, in south central AR. It's a 1500-acre impoundment managed by the U of A fresh water marine biology department. Stocked w/ FL strain fish and known for producing big fish. Caught a 10-4 and an 11 about 30 mins apart, from the same brush pile (I have a witness - ;) )

trbr81

31airborne - 12/23/2022 7:17 AM

Was stationed in Arkansas 2005-2007. Was a paid vacation for me - fished the entire time I was there. First trip was to a small lake called Monticello, in south central AR. It's a 1500-acre impoundment managed by the U of A fresh water marine biology department. Stocked w/ FL strain fish and known for producing big fish. Caught a 10-4 and an 11 about 30 mins apart, from the same brush pile (I have a witness - ;) )

a trip for the ages!

merry christmas

Fshn Cpa

Many fly in trips in Canada. The fishing was always good, but the best part was the trip itself. Getting together the months before and planning over a few beers. Deciding where to stay on the way there and back. Spending time with good friends with no distractions from TV or radio. Cell phones weren't even invented when we started. Almost every year for fifty years.

Rob Lee

My Dad was a barber, and his off day was Tuesday. He let me lay out of school on Tuesday(s) to go fishing. We didn't have a boat and it did not matter. We fished from the bank at Douglas Lake. There was nothing quite like it, great times. I could hardly wait for the bacon and cheese sandwiches he made. He bought me my first rod & reel. The reel was a DAM Quick 330 and the rod was a Shakespeare. Both came from Ray's Rods & Reels in Knoxville. I still have the reel and his too. Later, he bought us both a Zebco Cardinal 4. I still have both of them. I sure miss that old man.

digitalcb

Hiwassee, fishinga small Rapala, somehow buried hook in my finger unhooking a Rainbow, jerked around somehow buried one in another finger on my other hand. Easy and relatively painless to jerk out if you know how. A buddy was close by so I didn't have to do it by myself.

trbr81

Fshn Cpa - 12/23/2022 10:55 AM

Many fly in trips in Canada. The fishing was always good, but the best part was the trip itself. Getting together the months before and planning over a few beers. Deciding where to stay on the way there and back. Spending time with good friends with no distractions from TV or radio. Cell phones weren't even invented when we started. Almost every year for fifty years.

Our fishing club has been going on week long trips to up state new york for going on 15 years now. Always the highlight of the year. The prep and talking about it on the months leading up to it makes winter go faster. Still planning on going up once i move down but it will be a 15 hour drive. Thanks for sharing

trbr81

Rob Lee - 12/23/2022 2:52 PM

My Dad was a barber, and his off day was Tuesday. He let me lay out of school on Tuesday(s) to go fishing. We didn't have a boat and it did not matter. We fished from the bank at Douglas Lake. There was nothing quite like it, great times. I could hardly wait for the bacon and cheese sandwiches he made. He bought me my first rod & reel. The reel was a DAM Quick 330 and the rod was a Shakespeare. Both came from Ray's Rods & Reels in Knoxville. I still have the reel and his too. Later, he bought us both a Zebco Cardinal 4. I still have both of them. I sure miss that old man.

i can smell the bacon and cheese sandwiches now. Those cardinal 4 were great reels - dont see many of them still being used

FishingwithRusty

hmmmmm, ive been so fortunate to have some epic fishing trips, growing up in Arizona and getting started in this sport by my Grandfather & fishing my first tournament @ 14yrs old. catching frog/rat fish on the california delta, flipping and pitching fish up out of the salt cedars on Falcon with my Dad, catching buzzbait fish out of the tops of the mesquite trees on Amistad, talking my oldest son to Buggs on easter weekends when he was young and catching em out of the button bushes flipping or with a spinnerbait, catching topwater fish in the hole hole on lake wylie in freezing air temps, letting my youngest(he was 2 at the time) reel in and release fish after fish off a chickamauga ledge shortly after i moved here, taking my youngest to champlain so he could catch his first topwater smallie this summer, last summers trip to champlain(my first time up there) was epic, found a big patch of duckweed that had a big school of largemouth under it and they MASHED a frog! hell, for that matter 2yrs ago with Brian catching 5 for 25+(all on topwater) on nickajack in the cff classic, catching 5 for 28+ on chick a couple of years ago on the first day of the toyota series tournament, or the year after when on the second day i didnt have a fish at 215pm but managed to catch a 10lb 15oz stud(my biggest fish weighed in a tournament). sooooooo many memorable, epic trips and people wonder why do this............smh.

churly

I have some fun trips but the saltwater/ offshore trips are the most memorable. watching a 7ft long sword throw the bait after fighting him out of 1400 ft of water sticks out. and last year, I got to watch my tournament partner slap a 60+ gag grouper on the deck. I love the salt!

trbr81

FishingwithRusty - 12/28/2022 8:52 AM

hmmmmm, ive been so fortunate to have some epic fishing trips, growing up in Arizona and getting started in this sport by my Grandfather & fishing my first tournament @ 14yrs old. catching frog/rat fish on the california delta, flipping and pitching fish up out of the salt cedars on Falcon with my Dad, catching buzzbait fish out of the tops of the mesquite trees on Amistad, talking my oldest son to Buggs on easter weekends when he was young and catching em out of the button bushes flipping or with a spinnerbait, catching topwater fish in the hole hole on lake wylie in freezing air temps, letting my youngest(he was 2 at the time) reel in and release fish after fish off a chickamauga ledge shortly after i moved here, taking my youngest to champlain so he could catch his first topwater smallie this summer, last summers trip to champlain(my first time up there) was epic, found a big patch of duckweed that had a big school of largemouth under it and they MASHED a frog! hell, for that matter 2yrs ago with Brian catching 5 for 25+(all on topwater) on nickajack in the cff classic, catching 5 for 28+ on chick a couple of years ago on the first day of the toyota series tournament, or the year after when on the second day i didnt have a fish at 215pm but managed to catch a 10lb 15oz stud(my biggest fish weighed in a tournament). sooooooo many memorable, epic trips and people wonder why do this............smh.

Great trips rusty - there was nothing better than when the water is up in the bushes in Buggs. Champlain is a massive lake - we pretty much only fished the 10-12 mile section in Ticonderoga. Always wanted to check out the places way up north but that was another 70-80 miles up lake

trbr81

churly - 12/28/2022 10:03 AM

I have some fun trips but the saltwater/ offshore trips are the most memorable. watching a 7ft long sword throw the bait after fighting him out of 1400 ft of water sticks out. and last year, I got to watch my tournament partner slap a 60+ gag grouper on the deck. I love the salt!

Only salt trips i really ever did was in the back country down in the keys - pretty cool place

Troutbum

Fly fishing for carp during the Brood X cicada hatch on the French Broad River a couple of years ago. Dry fly fishing for big carp is a rarity, but they were cruising the banks looking for cicadas that had dropped to the water. They would actually race each other to the fly when it hit the surface.

trbr81

Troutbum - 12/28/2022 1:59 PM

Fly fishing for carp during the Brood X cicada hatch on the French Broad River a couple of years ago. Dry fly fishing for big carp is a rarity, but they were cruising the banks looking for cicadas that had dropped to the water. They would actually race each other to the fly when it hit the surface.

We caught carp many years ago on rapalas twitched on the surface during cicada hatch. Many great bass fishing trips over the years during the cicada time

Strato-G

Fly fishing, catching trout in River Maigue behind Adare Manor Castle in Ireland. An amazing trip, did fish some other streams. emoUpsmile emoGeezer emoDance emoUSA