MLF Rule Change

rsimms

Major League Fishing has changed the rules. Rather than allowing pros to score EVERY legal bass, now most MLF tournaments will only count anglers' five largest bass (but still released immediately, no 'weigh-ins').

I don't like it. When I watch an MLF event I prefer that every legal fish counts, encouraging anglers to target quantity over quality (a.k.a. more action). Kevin VanDam said, "This forces us to totally focus on big fish... this (five-fish) format requires a different mentality."

MLF claims they are bowing to the wishes of spectators and anglers (according to their surveys). But they didn't survey me and I'm against it.

What about you?

Details here: https://newschannel9.com/sports/outdoors/big-changes-coming-for-major-league-fishing-mlf

Attachments

• 115623-6ced0d43e22844e5a0defc276fb120a7.jpg
    115623-6ced0d43e22844e5a0defc276fb120a7.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 40

Fshn Cpa

I agree. You will only have to watch the last 1/2 hour or so since that is where the tournaments will be decided. Just like watching an NBA game, watch the last 5 minutes.

ChooChooSnakeMan

I agree, the main appeal of the MLF series was that it was about catching numbers of legal fish. When I get a chance to go out and fish that's what I try to do. I like catching fish, sure I like catching big fish but I'd rather catch a bunch of 1 1/2 lb fish as one 5 lb fish. That's just me. I want to stay as busy as possible catching fish. I like to watch the pros when they are basically fishing for numbers. There is more action and the techniques and locations they target are of more help to me than what they do to just target big fish. I think this move will hurt the number of people who watch the shows in my opinion.

FishingwithRusty

i like it, as a tournament fisherman it how i fish and can relate to it. plus i want to see them pursue the biggest fish in the lake and the techniques they use to do so.

I'm kinda in the middle on this one. I love the current format for the openness the anglers employ. There is always something to learn - watching or listening - in the everything counts mode. While the best 5 format is more akin to how I fish, I'm concerned anglers will be less willing to be as open as they are in the numbers format. There will still be opportunities to sneak a peek at what they're doing. I just hope the how-they-did-it pieces aren't edited out.

WaterChap

I really tire of watching pros yank in dozens of dinks. That’s why I’ve avoided watching it. I’ll likely start watching again.

Pop-R

I think it will rearrange a lot of the names at the top and may even out the field a bit. You have some flippers that caught weight like Tharpe and Shryock that didn't always get big numbers of bass. I think it will be interesting. i like both formats.

trbr81

I like the change but I have to admit the last 30 minutes is great entertainment - still prefer BASS over MLF