Winter Fishing Apparel Suggestions

jrhink

I’m looking for suggestions on winter fishing apparel.
What do you guys wear?

Smalliefan2

Layer your clothes. Add hooded sweatshirt, keeps the wind off your neck, and you can pull the hood up. Outside layer is a good rainsuit, cuts the wind, boat spray. Still haven't found fishing gloves that keep my hands warm, even the ones with slotted fingers for casting don't really help.

Agree 100% on layering. There is no single clothing item that'll do it all. Besides, it would only bind you up w/ the bulk. You need to think in layers. Tight fitting (not necessarily compression) base layers are the beginning. A good outer layer that gives both wind and water protection is the final touch. Everything in between - shirts, a vest, a sweatshirt - can be added and removed later to accommodate the weather. Managing the elements this way gives you protection/warmth while providing the mobility you'll need to fish.

WaterChap

I third Dean’s advice on layering. It’s everything. On waterproofing, you have to wear something that’s breathable. Gore-Tex is the standard. Waterproofing has a rating system, 5,000 rating and up. Anything under 10,000 is useless for fishing. If you are going to tournament fish in cold rain, 20,000 is the minimum. I check outdoor catalogues for snow gear and pay a little less than the fishing rain suits.

VolsFan24

I’m going to add something here. My fingers and toes are ALWAYS first to go. That will send me home quick. FOR ME I wear fleece socks, toe warmers, then I have some thick neoprene socks. All this goes into a weatherproof Timberland boot. My feet are perfect now. As far as hands, I wear nitrile “surgical” gloves, then I have thick ice fishing gloves with a hand-warmer in each one. The nitrile glove never comes off. It helps keep my hands drys and some wind off of them. This is not perfect by any means, but this works best FOR ME. I can’t fish with gloves on. I’ve tried them all. So the nitrile gloves is as good as I can do. They keep the heat in pretty decent and keep the hand-warmer heat for a little when you take them out of the glove. I agree with everything else. Start with a base layer (thermals), sweat pants and hoody, then gore-tex bibs and jacket. Fleece gaiter to keep wind off neck. I wear a magnetic face mask. I can put the mask down easily when I don’t need it. And a paintball mask for when running to help keep the wind off my face. I used to use a motorcycle helmet, but it got moldy in my compartment and the paintball mask was cheap. I also put hand-warmers in my jacket pockets to periodically put my hands in while fishing. Hope this helps.

rippinlips2win

down to just below freezing I wear Chaco sandals, it keeps your feet from sweating and I do fine with them...under about 27-30 degrees I do layer thin socks then weather proof boots. hands...there is nothing I have found except hand warmers and gloves.

FishingwithRusty

rippinlips2win - 11/29/2021 4:56 PM

down to just below freezing I wear Chaco sandals, it keeps your feet from sweating and I do fine with them...under about 27-30 degrees I do layer thin socks then weather proof boots. hands...there is nothing I have found except hand warmers and gloves.

clearly he's not that smart, wearing sandals in near freezing temps..............smh........and i fish with the guy

winter golf gloves........you can thank me later

Rannger361

This may help with cold hands and fingers. Take pocket warmers and secure them on your wrist. The pocket warmers keep the the blood flow warm to the hand and fingers. Then you can use any glove that you like. I can fish all day this way and never have cold hand and fingers.

Rannger361 - 11/30/2021 7:57 AM

This may help with cold hands and fingers. Take pocket warmers and secure them on your wrist. The pocket warmers keep the the blood flow warm to the hand and fingers. Then you can use any glove that you like. I can fish all day this way and never have cold hand and fingers.

Yep. I use ol' fashioned wrist bands. Like the ones you used when you played tennis or basketball. I put the hand warmer under the wrist band on the underside of the wrist. It warms the blood coming into my hands. Some gloves have a long, elastic sleeve that can do the same thing.

billyc

Brainered army Navy store military thermal underwear it's very light weight and breathes so you don't sweat to death. Gloves are called wig wams they are made of same material very thin. Put a hand warmer in them when it's super cold works great.

churly

Same stuff I deer hunt in. Layers and layers. Base layer is usually a synthetic as I find most wool's are a bit itchy.

Strato-G

Feet…wool socks, Keen Sandals unless raining….
Hands, aI use the copper thin fingerless with a pair of Under Armor thin with finger & hand warmers……

Laugh about sandals, try swimming in pair o boots, pray no one falls in, wool insulates & breathes, my sandals are enclosed toe for protection….

Try it, u may like it….Sorry Rusty,

emoGeezer emoUSA

jrhink

Thanks for all of your info. You guys are great! I’m new to fishing on a boat. I’ve gotten a lot of helpful info from you guys
I’m going to try my luck at crappie fishing now until spring. I’ve never fished for crappie, but I’ve been watching some YouTube videos. Thanks again for all y’all’s help and suggestions.