Dead Motor?

WaterChap

Well, I think I killed my motor (1990 Evinrude). I was running a lake in Texas and I heard the engine rattling. I cut the engine and checked to see if it had blown a plug. It wasn’t hot and I couldn’t see anything wrong. But it didn’t want to restart. I was able to get it going for a few seconds and it died. Back on land with muffs on, it didn’t want to turn over and I got it running for 5-10 seconds. Nothing was coming out the pee valve. That was the last it started.

I tried pulling the plugs and turning the pulley with a huge socket and breaker bar and it wouldn’t budge. I saw online to try to pull the lower unit off so I’m trying to figure it out.

What do y’all think? Is it totally dead? Anyone have a used 115-150 they want to part with? Other thoughts?

Smalliefan2

RIP, Travis. Been some posts on where to find used motors, just can"t remember the names. Finding a 'Rude will be a challenge.

jbh3

Could be a locked up lower. Pull the drain screw and check for metal. Can also take it off and see if the engine will turn over. Either way, it don't sound good.

WaterChap

Thanks John, I’ll try pulling it. I’m pretty sure it’s the top tho. Dean, I’m not locked into an Evinrude. Would love to up the power a bit and can go to 150.

Oldman

i thought mine was locked up a few weeks ago but it was the lower unit.motor wouldnt turn over at all.

WaterChap

Larry, I’m definitely going to pull it, but I’m not hopeful. Thanks Rod, I looked through the group. Also a reminder to check FB marketplace.

WaterChap

Larry, I’m definitely going to pull it, but I’m not hopeful. Thanks Rod, I looked through the group. Also a reminder to check FB marketplace.

WaterChap

Pulled off the lower unit. Won’t turn with no lower unit and no spark plugs in. I’m thinking that’s a very bad sign!

FishingwithRusty

if you got a bore scope stick it in there(or pull the heads) and look at the cylinder walls but it dont sound good. sorry to hear it.

"mechanical sh!t breaks"

WaterChap

Don’t know what a bore scope stick is, but I do have a “Lizard Cam” that’d go in the cylinders that I could try when I get back. However, it’s going to Glenn on Monday for either diagnosis or post-mortem.

“Things Fall Apart” Chinua Achebe

digitalcb

I've read "Things Fall Apart" several times. Something keeps bringing me bsck to it.

bronzeback45

Call Joey Potter @ Chattanooga marine, he knows those old evinrude's and johnson's.