You are logged in as a guest. ( Logon | Register Now! )

In your opinion, has the quality of Fishing on the Chick improved, remained steady or declined?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2
   Fishing Fishing Discussion

Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan
4/21/2021 11:36 AM
RobN, thanks for posting the link to the article. I've picked these quotes from the article and these are fishery biologist who are making these statements. Looks like TVA made the change knowing it would impact our fishery. I want to be fair so if there are any TVA people who have knowledge of why it was decided to raise the lake level a whole month later than what had been standard practice for such a long time please let us know.

Quote from the article are:
"Myhr says that will have a devastating impact on game fish that spawn in April. He says their best, historic spawning areas are liable to be left high and dry by low, or fluctuating water levels.

"I think fishermen have something to look forward to they don't want to see," said Myhr. "They can look forward to missing year classes of bass and crappie and redear sunfish (shellcrackers). I think they'll all be negatively impacted by this operation."

TWRA Aquatic Biologist Kirk Miles adds, "Fish are going to be ready to spawn and there's a good chance they're not going to have the best spawning habitat available."
Posted by Allison2002
4/21/2021 5:12 PM
All these pro tournaments and out state tournaments surely dont help. Zooming through no wake zones and there excuse is I'm not from around here o well may be it will get better not. Some body is making a dollar on these out of town tournaments I wonder who not TWRA they could but o well.
Posted by Nauticman
4/21/2021 6:06 PM
Thanks to RobN for posting Richard Simms’s article. This article is 17 years old and documents TVA’ s intention to bring Chickamauga to full pool by 5/15. So, it’s been 17 years of this way of operating the lake level. The fishing has been great until lately, so, intuitively, this way of operating has not hurt the fishing. Furthermore, TVA’s operating guide dated 2021 shows the lake to be filled to full pool by 5/1 (look it up).
It’s plain to see that fishing pressure is the main reason for the decline as several posts on here have stated.
These days, if I am fishing an offshore spot, there will soon be a bass boat circling me (or even two boats) to scan the spot I am fishing and that’s during the week.
Posted by Flathead
4/21/2021 6:16 PM
Nauticman - 4/21/2021 6:06 PM

Furthermore, TVA’s operating guide dated 2021 shows the lake to be filled to full pool by 5/1 (look it up).

Just looked at operating guide on tva app. It's not showing full pull 5/1. Looking on my phone and it looks like 5/15 to me.
Posted by finbully
4/22/2021 7:20 AM
More than a single cause I suspect.

Edited by finbully 4/22/2021 7:23 AM
Posted by RobN
4/23/2021 6:58 PM
You are welcome and I agree the pressure is not good for the fishery as a whole - I interpreted the article as that certain years it might negatively impact the spawn as there are so many environmental variables that also impact the spawn and lake levels, and your right the trend over the last few years is more recent Vs the change 17 years ago. Regarding the pressure I am not sure there is a good answer as even today the lake still fishes better than most. I am thankful we have it in our local community.

i
Nauticman - 4/21/2021 6:06 PM

Thanks to RobN for posting Richard Simms’s article. This article is 17 years old and documents TVA’ s intention to bring Chickamauga to full pool by 5/15. So, it’s been 17 years of this way of operating the lake level. The fishing has been great until lately, so, intuitively, this way of operating has not hurt the fishing. Furthermore, TVA’s operating guide dated 2021 shows the lake to be filled to full pool by 5/1 (look it up).
It’s plain to see that fishing pressure is the main reason for the decline as several posts on here have stated.
These days, if I am fishing an offshore spot, there will soon be a bass boat circling me (or even two boats) to scan the spot I am fishing and that’s during the week.
Spread the word

del.icio.us Digg Furl Reddit BB Google Ma.gnolia Netscape Simpy StumbleUpon Technorati Live Yahoo!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Advertiser

Advertiser

CFF Calendar
May 2021
SMTWTFS
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9» 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31          

Upcoming events (next 2 weeks)

Advertiser

Random Photo
my daughters first bass she held

"my daughters first bass she held"
Album: basspro420

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Copyright © 1996-2021 All rights reserved.
Duplication in whole or in part of this Web site without express written consent is prohibited.
CFF Privacy Policy

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software