Lithium Batteries VS Lead

jcodylew

Pros: saves on weight, has a longer lifespan (per charge and overall), generally carries a better warranty than lead from what I have seen, and all the "cool" kids have them
cons: costs are significantly higher, battery power is "all or nothing" they don't get weak they just die, not all onboard chargers are compatible with maintaining the duty cycle of a lithium cell, I have also heard of lithium batteries affecting graph performance (I have no evidence just rumors). AND last but not least lithium/cobalt mining and processing is a very water intensive process that produces ALOT of contaminants, there is research going on now around the adverse affects that lithium battery manufacturing has on local water supplies.... I am not by any means a tree hugger, but as an angler I have a hard time supporting a product that may eventually cause long term issues on a pond near me... just my $.02

churly

I put 3 24v lithiums and a stealth charging system in my boat last year, and I have zero complaints. Still have less weight than 2 leads. Charges from dead to full in no time. putting them in was a breeze compared to the lead. 10 year life....

camaro88z

I just can't justify the cost of it. Would love the weight saving. My current setup works for me. I can get 3 to 5 years out of a $100 battery. So if I had to buy 2 or 3 of them to one lithium it still wouldn't be close in cost. Maybe if the price ever drops low enough I will go that route. Just can't see it for now for me

I'm all in on the lighter weight and longer life. My biggest issue is finding a replacement should one fail. Had that issue during our FoM national championship. They may be heavier but I can find a replacement wet cel lead battery anywhere.

FishingwithRusty

went to lithium a couple of years ago.

the weight difference is shocking! had a 36v 40ah and it just wasnt enough for me on a day of HARD use. pcm kicks off when voltage drops below 36v and youre done. went to a 65ah battery and so far so good but we'll see. for me the simplicity of only having one battery is really nice.

they are pricey up front like everything else in the sport.

Smalliefan2

Went to lithium, saved weight, better hole shot. Mfg. says good for 3,000 cycles. At three trips a week , 52x per year, I should replace in 18-19 years.
A comment on the environment, with solar and wind, battery storage will be needed for calm days or nights. Add the conversion to electric powered autos, lithium is the only technology I am aware of that has the capacity and low weight to make these things happen.

bronzeback45

Mike you need to talk to Carl, he loves the ionic lithium's and it connects to you phone with a blue tooth app. I know you have the new stroke, just make sure the battery will accept the higher amperage the V8 puts out.