Large Fish Killl???

Hook1

I just saw something on channel 3 about a large fish kill in a creek that runs into the Tennessee river. Anyone else seen or heard anything? The notification said more to come soon.…

churly

yep. Chattanooga creek. I'm willing to bet its a situation of too many fish in shallow rapidly heating water= very low oxygen. it happens this time of year. Ive seen it happen in the Hiwasee back waters years ago. If sewage was in the water that even compounds the low oxygen issue as fecal chlorophyll consumes large amounts of oxygen and gives off high levels of CO2. I slept at a Holliday Inn Express last night

EricM

emoUpsmile

rsimms

The dead/dying fish are all shad. I did an interview for NewsChannel 9. In my humble opinion (and as noted above), in high water the threadfins ran up out of the river, probably into warmer runoff water from rains. Then water levels dropped and they got stranded. That was definitely the case in the place I took these pictures. The dead shad being found are a miniscule drop in the bucket of what's out there.

There are people in the area who STRONGLY disagree. They believe the city has sprayed something that killed the fish. I just took a phone call from one very irate lady who saw me on TV and tracked me down to express her strong objections to what I had to say. emoBigsmile I talked her down and we parted amiably.... just agreeing to disagree.

Fishermen know that threadfin shad don't belong and can't survive in this kind of skinny water. These fish just simply went where they shouldn't have ought to gone during high water... and failed to escape back to the river when their water went away. I think it's a fish version of the Darwin Theory. emoSmile

Attachments

• shad2.jpg
    shad2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 180
  • shad3.jpg
    shad3.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 178
  • shad1.jpg
    shad1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 191

Hook1

Thanks Richard. God only knows there’s more than enough shad around after several warm or mild winters. I was actually glad to see a good shad die off this year. It should only make fishing better this summer. Hopefully the grass isn’t so far behind this year lol.

Muskrat

A certain morning news anchor on a particular channel ( not channel 9 ) referred to them as...threadfin "shod". Apparently -- not a fisherman !