Coming down to Guntersville

fishingdog

I'm coming down to fish the Big G in 3 weeks with my son and i was wondering if anyone could help me with how fishing is there. Coming from way up north I don`t have a clue as to what the fish are doing, water temps, patterns or whatever. We have limited time and any help would be greatly appreciated! We hope to catch a bunch and just MAYBE one of those hawgs. Thank you in advance!!! Tight lines everyone

I'll be on The G tomorrow. Will post a report for you here. I suspect you'll see a pre-spawn scenario when you get there. Water temps still lingering in the 40s in many places. I'll have more details after I come off the water tomorrow.

You'll find the entire lake stained, heavily in some places, from recent rains. They are pushing water hard thru The G. The lake isn't getting much of a break to settle down and clear up. The main channel is dirtier than the creeks in some places. The very back end of creeks is still heavily stained but fishable. The cleaner water tends to be in the first half or so of the feeder creeks. Water temps ranged from 53 (Honeycomb) to 58 (Big Spring). You'll find cooler spots on the main channel but the current isn't going to let you fish it very easily.

Baitfish everywhere in the backs of creeks and it's all over the water column. Lots of active feeding going on - the white bass are tearing it up on top in the back ends of creeks. Bass appear to be targeting threadfin and alewife. Look for the long, thin bands on bait along the bottom. Bass are holding underneath. I had no trouble getting them to eat an underspin and a swimjig. Also had a few takers on a DT10. With so much water being pushed thru the lake the fish appear to be holding a little bit back from traditional staging areas. Target 6-12' and you'll be OK. Sharper breaks were better than gradual breaks. A break near or on a channel turn was money.

Happy hunting!

Triton4Bass

By the time you get down to G the fish will be shallow. Spinnerbaits, traps and weightless senkos should be good. Key in on grass lines in shallow water and pockets off main lake. The biggest challenge at the G is figuring out what they’re doing in relation to the wind. Good luck!