Marine-tex epoxy

Aries 181

In another thread, I talked about the holes leaking where my transducer was mounted on the transom of my boat. I reapplied 5200 to re-seal the holes but water is still leaching out so before I add the stern saver for my transducer I want to use marine-tex epoxy to seal the holes permanently.

Has anyone used this product? Other idea's?

Thanks,
Bill

Carl

its great stuff, just make sure you get it smooth and flat, it is a pain to try to sand it.

Dropshot

Staff member
It is good stuff Bill. Had a small spot on my hull and last spring Dusty used Marine Tex. Cannot even tell it was ever scuffed.

Aries 181

You guys are right, very good stuff. Much better than 5200 by 3M. I sanded the top 3 inches with 80 grit sandpaper and my sanding block so the stern saver will sit flush on the transom. I will attach it in the morning and let it cure until Monday after work.

Bill

Aries 181

If you've ever used JB weld, it's about the same consistency. Spreads real easy with a putty knife. Easy to sand down if you use a sanding block.

Island cove marina store has the 2 oz size in white and gray.

Bill

richg99

If water is "still leaching out" wouldn't you want to dry her out completely first?

Years ago I had similar problems with a foam-filled hull (Carolina Skiff). The standard solution was to drill 1/4 inch holes or larger, tip the boat up at the bow as HIGH as possible, and let her drain until all water stopped.